Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Putting a budget boost on a budget boost

Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a budget boost on a budget boost

I have the old man emu 2inch lift at the moment. with armoring up, and adding a bumper, im tempted to look at a bit more lift. almost makes me wish I had gone with the HD springs and not the standard. Oh well. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I'd love to slap some spacers in there, get it up near the 3-3.5 total lift range. so besides the spacers themselves, which i dont mind going cheap on, what else do you need for such a cheap set up? In my mind the list is; bump stops, retainer clips, adjustabe front lower control arms, adjustable rear upper control arms, adjustable rear track bar (and I'd assume track bar mount) and brake line extensions front and rear. anything else? do I actually need all that? the ome isnt a cheap kit, and I like how it rides so I wouldnt want to just go out and buy an all new setup. I also want to make sure it can actually be wheeled too

hmmm, maybe I should go bedline something to get the mod bug out of my head....
Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you already have an adjustable track bar in the front?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't, everything is stock, save for the shocks and coils. I don't have any brakeline or bumpstop extensions yet either
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

just wanted to bump this up, so I can sneak around and buy some components when my wifes not looking
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sneck
just wanted to bump this up, so I can sneak around and buy some components when my wifes not looking
Lol. Most of the OME kits I have seen look very incomplete. With 3" to 3 1/2" lift I would want adjustable front and rear track bars, front LCA's, and the extended brake lines and bumpstops like you said. I would also stash some funds for a front drive shaft at some point although the stock may last a good while depending on how you drive it
Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

You need brake extensions for the rear and front and back shock and bump stop extensions with 3" of lift. You can avoid the shock extensions if your going with new shocks that are appropriate for that height. As others have mentioned you will need at least a front adjustable track to re center your axle more than likely control arms too to fix your pinion and caster angles. Your rear shaft is going to be an issue as well but maybe can wait until later. This is more of a big deal with 2 doors and lifts above 2.5 but you will want to address it. If your kit does not come with a rear track bar relocater, you are going to need one of those too even if you use your stock or a new adjustable one. You need to have it parallel with the rear axle for safety and longevity.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

so I got my hands on some spacers to stuff in there, I'll more than likely wait till I get new tires to install them. One of my concerns is knowing what parts i need/get. For example, rear sway links. Now obviously with a 3.5 inch lift, I need new links, but part of the reason I'm getting spacers is because adding things like a new bumper and rocker armor sags the springs a bit. How can I see how much lift I actually have? Is there a good spot to measure and a number to compare against?

Quick Reply: Putting a budget boost on a budget boost