Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Put Rubi Xfer case on a '12 Sport...

Old 05-28-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I'm also running 37's on 5.13, it's already super low when in 4 lo, it seems like I wouldn't want to be lower... I must be missing something
I'm running 4.88, so very close in gear ratio. I wouldn't even play in the rocks with my old t-case at this point. As someone else noted, there are times in the big rocks where I'd like 5:1. The advantages are numerous, especially with a manual. Rather than dropping off a ledge, it creeps over, no compressing the suspension and crunching skids. No need to gas it and break stuff or hook up and jump forward. Rarely need brakes on nasty descents (and brakes result in losing control).

It really depends on where you wheel. If you are mostly in the woods doing ORV trails, probably not a big deal. You want to play in the mountains, it's a must.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I'm running 4.88, so very close in gear ratio. I wouldn't even play in the rocks with my old t-case at this point. As someone else noted, there are times in the big rocks where I'd like 5:1. The advantages are numerous, especially with a manual. Rather than dropping off a ledge, it creeps over, no compressing the suspension and crunching skids. No need to gas it and break stuff or hook up and jump forward. Rarely need brakes on nasty descents (and brakes result in losing control). It really depends on where you wheel. If you are mostly in the woods doing ORV trails, probably not a big deal. You want to play in the mountains, it's a must.
I'm in Maine, we have rocks, bigger rocks, boulders and dirt/mud and most of it is in the medium sized mountains...

It's relative, I've spent enough time out west to know MOUNTAINS, we have mountains, for the most part.

I'm dense, I rock crawl now and the 5.13 feels almost too low, wouldn't that make the rubicon t case way too low?

I work with a great off-road shop and they've called me with rubicon t cases that people have upgraded and are looking to sell pretty reasonably...

Matthew
Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also running 37's on 5.13, it's already super low when in 4 lo, it seems like I wouldn't want to be lower... I must be missing something
I'm in Maine, we have rocks, bigger rocks, boulders and dirt/mud and most of it is in the medium sized mountains...

It's relative, I've spent enough time out west to know MOUNTAINS, we have mountains, for the most part.

I'm dense, I rock crawl now and the 5.13 feels almost too low, wouldn't that make the rubicon t case way too low?

I work with a great off-road shop and they've called me with rubicon t cases that people have upgraded and are looking to sell pretty reasonably...

Matthew
Got any pictures of some of the more technical rocky stuff you've done that you felt you were too low geared?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

]I'm dense, I rock crawl now and the 5.13 feels almost too low, wouldn't that make the rubicon t case way too low?
No, you just have no idea what you are missing.

If they are a great off-road shop, then maybe they are calling you for a reason... because they know you need a rubi t-case. Say yes next time.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Roryslife
No, you just have no idea what you are missing. If they are a great off-road shop, then maybe they are calling you for a reason... because they know you need a rubi t-case. Say yes next time.
True.

Stupid question, would I need new drive shafts?

Matthew
Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. Stupid question, would I need new drive shafts? Matthew
Nope. A shorty 9/16 wrench, floor jack, and 1-1/4 socket if swapping yokes.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Nope. A shorty 9/16 wrench, floor jack, and 1-1/4 socket if swapping yokes.
I now have access to a lift
Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

No, you just have no idea what you are missing. If they are a great off-road shop, then maybe they are calling you for a reason... because they know you need a rubi t-case. Say yes next time.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of upgrading the factory t case, I hope the rubicon one is a bit stronger, or is it identical to stock, just better gearing?

I had gotten a quote on an Atlas t case, my weakest link in my drive train right now is definitely the t case.

I have pro rock D44 and D60 so I'm pretty sure the weakest thing from the tires to the tranny is the t case...

Matthew
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of upgrading the factory t case, I hope the rubicon one is a bit stronger, or is it identical to stock, just better gearing?

I had gotten a quote on an Atlas t case, my weakest link in my drive train right now is definitely the t case.

I have pro rock D44 and D60 so I'm pretty sure the weakest thing from the tires to the tranny is the t case...

Matthew
I doubt it. I run a PR44 and a RJ60 with 1310 driveshafts. The T-Case is the last thing that I'm worried about blowing. I figure my driveshafts are the most likely thing to fail, followed by my pinion/gears.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

I doubt it. I run a PR44 and a RJ60 with 1310 driveshafts. The T-Case is the last thing that I'm worried about blowing. I figure my driveshafts are the most likely thing to fail, followed by my pinion/gears.
I had custom driveshafts made of 4130 thick wall and we went for overkill to not have to worry about them.

Northridge uses Yukon gears

i just always thought that the t case would be the weakest link...

matthew

Quick Reply: Put Rubi Xfer case on a '12 Sport...