Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Purejeep Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier Installed!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Purejeep Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier Installed!

Just put on my Purejeep Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier. Here are some observations.

Took a while (ordered 11/1/07, arrived 3/6/08), but the wait was worth it.

Couldn't believe how cheap the factory bumper is. I stood on it to wash the top of the Jeep and almost fell through it! Felt like it anyways. That was the reason I ordered the Purejeep bumper to begin with. Very easy to remove, and it's l-i-g-h-t! Glad to ditch the plastic.

Didn't weigh the new bumper, but it is no where near the 120+ lbs I've seen elsewhere on the web. In fact, the install involved taking off the hard top and putting on the bumper + tire carrier. The JK went UP 1/2"! Besides, I'm not exactly a he-man (confessions hurt) but I had no problem mounting the bumper myself.

There were a few scratches in the bumper from shipping. Nothing I'm too concerned about, but it wasn't as perfect as the Shrockworks front bumper.

The instructions seemed OK, but there were a couple of steps missing. Nothing that wasn't obvious, but if you were rushing along you might need to back track a bit.

The mounts are very solid - much more so than the factory bumper.

The instructions say to torque the factor bolts being re-used to 85 ft-lbs. I was thinking to myself as I was bearing down on the torque wrench it seemed a bit much for the size of the bolts. Sure enough, a bolt snapped off! Had to drill it out. CAUTION - 85 ft lbs on the factory bolts IS a bit much!

Be aware there is no center stop light options short of finding something that fits on top of the carrier. I'm OK with no light, but I did need to disconnect and remove the wiring from the factory center stop light. The good news is it's a snap to get out (literally).

The tire carrier sits a bit high with just the stock Rubi wheel on it. Someday I plan to upgrade to 35" tires, but for now the stock Rubi's will need to do. It is obvious that the bumper is pre-stressed for bigger tires. It rides high on the latch with the tire on, and won't close at all without a lot of downward pressure if the tire is off.

Speaking of tires, the tire mount didn't fit at all. I needed to Dremel the bolt hole openings a bit to get the mount to fit. It is 1/4" gusseted steel, so bending to fit was out of the question.

The first washboard I went on set up a pretty good rattle in the latch. Some electrical tape really helped, but that certainly isn't a long-term solution. The latch is very secure. Except for the rattle, I won't be worrying about the latch!

Overall the installation was very easy and the bumper looks and works great!

Pics to come later.

Quick Reply: Purejeep Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier Installed!