Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Purchasing??

Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing??

I am looking a 99 Wrangler that is in really good condition. 4.0L 6 cyl... Seams to have everything I want from what I can tell and its for a really good price. My only dilemma is its an automatic and I really wanted a 5 speed. Its pretty clean and they are only asking 3000. Almost sounds to good to be true. Is it worth getting it for this price and making the swap to a 5 speed. Or am I opening up a can of worms and its better to just buy a manual from the start?? And if I could make the swap how much money am I talking?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smwdrum
I am looking a 99 Wrangler that is in really good condition. 4.0L 6 cyl... Seams to have everything I want from what I can tell and its for a really good price. My only dilemma is its an automatic and I really wanted a 5 speed. Its pretty clean and they are only asking 3000. Almost sounds to good to be true. Is it worth getting it for this price and making the swap to a 5 speed. Or am I opening up a can of worms and its better to just buy a manual from the start?? And if I could make the swap how much money am I talking?
You'll get a better response on wrangler forum or jeep forum. But 3000 for a 99 Tj sounds low. What condition is it in? How many miles?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to hook up with a TJ forum. There are plenty of TJs out there but if it's really clean, low miles then I might jump on that. It'll be more of a hassle to swap the trans, I would get what you want from the start. Check other prices in your area and KBB.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Might want to hook up with a TJ forum. There are plenty of TJs out there but if it's really clean, low miles then I might jump on that. It'll be more of a hassle to swap the trans, I would get what you want from the start. Check other prices in your area and KBB.
It is really clean 87,000 miles off road tires. From pic looks pretty goo and only 3 grand. Like I said seems to be what I want except for the trans. I don't know if I should keep looking for a good one with the manual or jump on this one and try and swap out the auto depending on how much that cost though. I know its alot of work.,
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know your market up there, but 3K is in the "too good to be true" range in AZ for what your describing. I'd take it to a trusted mechanic to take a thorough look at everything. 3K may not be the great deal it appears to be.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by towel33
Don't know your market up there, but 3K is in the "too good to be true" range in AZ for what your describing. I'd take it to a trusted mechanic to take a thorough look at everything. 3K may not be the great deal it appears to be.
The Jeep is for sale in a different state and they are telling me they will ship it to me free of charge and I can look at it test drive it and if I find something wrong I don't have to purchase and send it back.. It does sound kind of fishy. Is this something I should stay aweay from Also since its not a Manual and I would need to do a conversion anyways but its such a good price.....
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Scam....... It's a Craigslist scam.......
Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your last post answered your question.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Stay away! Scam!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Purchasing ????

First of all, you are being scammed with the offer you're describing. Secondly, keep looking. I just sols my 99 TJ, 4bangger with 156k mles to my brother-inlaw for $5,500. SIMILAR Jeeps in New Mexico are going for $5-8.5k all day long. As for s trann swap, buy what you can afford & enjoy it, wrench on it & drive the hell out of it! You will be looking to upgrade before long! Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: Purchasing??