Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pulling the trigger on skids plates

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I did mine yesterday, with one difference and all went on fine . I have the motor mount arms bolted on the inside of the front skid (this way they are less prone to get caught up)

Who knows what's right but it fits

It is fun doing it yourself !
Oh i absolutely agree they should be on the inside, and i do believe it is the right way to put them on, i ust couldnt get the suckers to fit that way alone. I hopefully can get my neighbor to give me a hand this weekend to move them in real quick. I was just in a hurry last time trying to get set up for Jeepfest and there wasnt anyone around at all to help me. My floor jack got used a LOT to get them on. A bunch of loosening/tightening went on for me as well. (Thank god for air tools)

Originally Posted by guinness
just did them meself and I love em. It helped to have an extra set of hands(thanks pop) but I did alot of loosening and tightening to get all the holes into alignment. Still havent drilled the final holes for the back of the gas tank skid they almost seem pointless due to the rest of the mounting but i will try.
Can anyone tell me if i do the woods evap reloc. will the rockhard skid still work in the new position? I know it wont as necess. but if itll fit why not?
I left the back bolts out of the gas tank skid for a little bit as i needed to button it up and get to the store. When i got back home i drilled and installed the bolts right away because it was making an annoying buzzing sound vibrating against the stock skid. Structurally, it may not need them, but it killed the noise on mine.

No idea if the Evap skid would fit, but based on the pictures i have seen, i would say yes, but with modification. It looks to bolt to the stock evap bracket mounts, and you hack one of those off when you do the relocation. So, you would likely need to drill a couple extra holes to get it in there (if it didnt interfere with the frame/floor structure) also, the stock Evap bracket has an offset in it(the piece you cut off), it doesnt mount on a flat plane, so the Rockhard skid would appear to have offset brackets, at leaston one end, to accomodate that. would make it mount at an angle if you didnt address that.

I think it would be a bit of work to do, but i dont think it is in any danger of getting whacked tucked way up in there like that.

I was torn between these and the Treks, dont care for the Skidrow offering personally as i prefer the modularity of these better. But it also appears to be a good product from what i read.

Oh, and for the OP, who's thread we mercilessly hijacked:

I love my Rockhard skids, one of the better mods I have done so far IMO. I wouldnt hesitate to buy them again.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-28-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im lucky enough to live not far from Lew at Rockhard, went to his open house a couple days ago, top notch operation, super nice guy. Was giving kids rides in his white TJ over the rockpile by his shop. Just an old jeep guy who loves jeeps and loves to wheel, and makes some of the nicest parts in the business. For anyone contemplating I cant imagine you wouldnt be happy with any of his stuff. Sorry for hijack but just thought Id throw this out there.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dirt101
Im lucky enough to live not far from Lew at Rockhard, went to his open house a couple days ago, top notch operation, super nice guy. Was giving kids rides in his white TJ over the rockpile by his shop. Just an old jeep guy who loves jeeps and loves to wheel, and makes some of the nicest parts in the business. For anyone contemplating I cant imagine you wouldnt be happy with any of his stuff. Sorry for hijack but just thought Id throw this out there.
A few weeks back I welded the ORE C2 and LCA gussets on. I'm ok on horizontal welding but marginal on vertical so I had a buddy who's a welder for a very high end custom fabrication shop come over to help. When he saw the RockHard front bumper (the new full width but upswept for the JK) he said that it was exactly what they would build if somebody came in and said cost was not an object. He was very impressed with the design, use and quality of bends, and the welds.

In addition I have the RH rocker guards and rear bumper and tire carrier. The fit and quality is simply superb. And Lew is accessable on the phone and a damn nice guy to talk to.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I also had problems with the arms on the front skid. Specifically the drivers side. The passengers side fit flush but the drivers side was a bit of a PITA to fit and get the bolt through.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fishyguy
I have the rockhard setup and its great. the only this I can tell you it to get some exhaust wrap and wrap the pipe right above the skid and below the transmission as to help prevent a rattle.

Can someone explain this to me, since i put my Engine Skid on, i get this odd rattle in the middle drivers side, that i assume is the exhaust rattle that i see mentioned, but dont know what Wrapping it means and where i can get that type of stuff?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put a few washers between the frame and the extension on the left-hand side protecting the coverter. No more rattle. No wrap.

I love the peace of mind and the "true" protection you get with rock hard

I put washers where the circle is.

I had vibrations on the X.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	18166  

Last edited by Jharkins26; 01-23-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Hey jHarkins, on this pic, can you let me know where you put the washers?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm saving to get these from TNTcustoms:
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by REL1203
Hey jHarkins, on this pic, can you let me know where you put the washers?

I put washers on all four of the rear ones. If I had the diff skid, it would equal the same spacing as the washers. (hopefully one of these days)

Quick Reply: pulling the trigger on skids plates