Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pulling the trigger on skids plates

Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Full rockhard setup here, sans the evap skid, i moved that bout of the way.
I've been thinking of getting the RockHard skids. How does the engine skid affect changing the oil? How is access to the drain plug and does it make a mess when draining. It's probably OK; I've got the RockHard front bumper, rear bumper and tire carrier, and rocker guards and they are all great.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent changed the oil yet, but there appears to be plenty of access, if anything i think the access will at as somewhat of a splash sheild. I took a side shot or two of the pan drain plug/access to show that, see above photos.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

I havent changed the oil yet, but there appears to be plenty of access, if anything i think the access will at as somewhat of a splash sheild. I took a side shot or two of the pan drain plug/access to show that, see above photos.
The access is fine. And the splash sheild does what its supposed too. So its not bad... basically a 1 rag cleanup.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

And I mounted my brackets on the inside...

Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

spilled oil is fine, it cuts down on the rust
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by bly109
And I mounted my brackets on the inside...
i couldnt get them in there, that's where i tried putting them at first, i was flying solo, if i can get some help someday, ill put them inside, it would take some tugging and such more than i could do alone.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

i couldnt get them in there, that's where i tried putting them at first, i was flying solo, if i can get some help someday, ill put them inside, it would take some tugging and such more than i could do alone.
Really? Mine went in fairly easy. I jacked the skid in place, loosely put the rear bolts in, loosely put in the front ones, pulled the skid down in front and then tightened them. But I do admit, overall the skid is a bear to handle and I had a hell of a time getting the top bolts in the motor mounts. My arm didnt wanna bend/fit up there very well But honestly I thought the front lowers went in fairly smoothly. I think Seer1 had a hard time too, but I think his werent rounded off right, or else they were bent wrong. I forget what the resolution was, but I think they sent him new brackets.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Eternal ***erator

i put the motor mount end on first, and lose on the rear, but by myself i just couldnt get the lower bracket to lineup on the inside... I dont think the brackets are wrong, but i suppose it's a possibility. I think i just didnt have enough hands, they where a bear to handle all alone.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I did mine yesterday, with one difference and all went on fine . I have the motor mount arms bolted on the inside of the front skid (this way they are less prone to get caught up)

Who knows what's right but it fits

It is fun doing it yourself !
the floor jack is your friend
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

just did them meself and I love em. It helped to have an extra set of hands(thanks pop) but I did alot of loosening and tightening to get all the holes into alignment. Still havent drilled the final holes for the back of the gas tank skid they almost seem pointless due to the rest of the mounting but i will try.
Can anyone tell me if i do the woods evap reloc. will the rockhard skid still work in the new position? I know it wont as necess. but if itll fit why not?

Quick Reply: pulling the trigger on skids plates