Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pulling trigger on Shrockworks Mid, Couple ?s

Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling trigger on Shrockworks Mid, Couple ?s

I have been back and forth 1000 times on which bumper to buy but I think I have settled on the Shrockworks midwidth bumper. I plan on mounting a Warn Powerplant on it someday. Can I run it without a winch for now? Also, I didn't see if they put any light tabs on the winch hoop (which I plan to get), are there any?

Also, on the tabs on top of the bumper, when you mount a 6" or 8" fog light there, do they get in the way of the turn signal? It is hard to tell in their website pictures, does anyone have any head on pics or know from experience if this is an issue.

FInally, I saw on their website that they had a front plate mounted over the winch fairlead, is this an option I can purchase? Does it remove easily when on the trial. I do need a front plate location.

It seems most people go for the matte black as opposed to the textured, does it look better? I guess it would also be easier to touch up.

Any other advice from experience is appreciated. How is their customer service and warranty? Anyone hit trees or other large objects with the bumper? Damage?

Sorry for all of the questions but your help is appreciated, this is a tough decision!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I have been back and forth 1000 times on which bumper to buy but I think I have settled on the Shrockworks midwidth bumper. I plan on mounting a Warn Powerplant on it someday. Can I run it without a winch for now? Also, I didn't see if they put any light tabs on the winch hoop (which I plan to get), are there any? No, The hoop is smooth, With no mounting points.

Also, on the tabs on top of the bumper, when you mount a 6" or 8" fog light there, do they get in the way of the turn signal? It is hard to tell in their website pictures, does anyone have any head on pics or know from experience if this is an issue. I dont have any mounted, But yes, They will block the turn signal if you go much larger than a 4" light

FInally, I saw on their website that they had a front plate mounted over the winch fairlead, is this an option I can purchase? Does it remove easily when on the trial. I do need a front plate location.The winch plate is sold separately for around $100, But it's not necessary as it just finishes the look of the bumper. IMO, If you plan on buying a PowerPlant, I woould not buy the plate. Also, The Powerplant has to be installed with the bumper off, Or at least the skid off, And it is somewhat a PITA, But the directions and hardware included are accurate

It seems most people go for the matte black as opposed to the textured, does it look better? I guess it would also be easier to touch up. At first, I wanted the textured, But the Semi Gloss powdercoat really looks great! And if you chip it on a rock, Black spray paint fixes it al it's hardly noticeable

Any other advice from experience is appreciated. How is their customer service and warranty? Anyone hit trees or other large objects with the bumper? Damage?Shrockworks products are built so good, You will not have to worry about the warranty! Their customer support is second to none. You will like this choice

Sorry for all of the questions but your help is appreciated, this is a tough decision!
I hope i answered all your questions, And eased your decision!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Some thoughts:

1. Not sure why Big A is saying the winch plate is an option. When I bought mine, it came with it standard, along with the skid plate. It mounts a PowerPlant beautifully. But, I think your question is about the license plate mounting over the winch hole. Yes, there are screw holes there, but I didn't have to use them in Oklahoma. With a roller fairlead, I'm not certain where you'd mount the tag, so I'll let others who have faced this problem answer this question.

2. Lights can be mounted on the tabs on the bumper. There aren't tabs on the winch hoop, but if you check out N2Rock's rig, he did just that with some brackets on one of his JKs. It looks pretty cool. Here are also pic's of KC SlimLites mounted on my own. They do partially block the turn signals, especially from certain angles. For this reason, I did the turn signal/blinker mod, but I wish the JKs had a blinker on the front of the fender instead of the side.

Here's N2Rock's picture of his rig:

Front view of mine:

You can see from this angle that the far turn signal is blocked on mine:

3. The bumper is built rock solid. But, there is a thread here on JK-Forum from someone who did crack one. See if you can't find that. He did not find fault with the bumper, and Shrockworks was on it in the thread trying to work things out. I don't know the latest status, however.

BTW: I'll warn you prepare to wait for the bumper. It's worth it, but it took almost twelve weeks to receive mine, and now they are in the middle of moving their production facility and I expect waits may even be longer. You might give Screamin' Lizard a call--they keep Shrockworks stuff in stock and maybe you'll luck out.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-02-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

1. If you order directly from Shrockworks I believe you can have tabs put on the hoop (I remember seeing a forum member who did & it wasn't a bracket, Shrockworks actually did it).

2. I have now waited 18 weeks for my bumper (ordered August 25th)...so like others have said be prepared to wait!

3. I have only seen the semi-gloss in person & it was very nice (I can't even remember what finish I went with)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dlud51
1. If you order directly from Shrockworks I believe you can have tabs put on the hoop (I remember seeing a forum member who did & it wasn't a bracket, Shrockworks actually did it).

2. I have now waited 18 weeks for my bumper (ordered August 25th)...so like others have said be prepared to wait!

3. I have only seen the semi-gloss in person & it was very nice (I can't even remember what finish I went with)
I am also still waiting...ordered the 23 of AUG. I went with the Anthracite finish to be a little different.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks a ton for the help so far, people on the site really seam to love the Shrockworks products. I don't see many people getting the grill hoop, just wondering why that is. I am for sure getting the winch hoop for the powerplant.

I plan on putting an order in for it later today, my wife just approved a Jeep Jamboree trip for October in Maine so I'm pumped, we just became JK owners just over a month ago and loving it so far.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

One other thing, what is the Athracite (spelling?) finish? Is that the silvery type color I see on some of the bumpers? Is it more durable? I'm still thinking the semigloss powdercoat to go with all black accessories on the Jeep Green colored Jeep.

Thanks again!

Tom
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Some thoughts:

1. Not sure why Big A is saying the winch plate is an option. When I bought mine, it came with it standard, along with the skid plate.
I am talking about the Winch Cover Plate... Which i thought was what he was asking about. It costs $109
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed their rear bumper with tire carrier, set up, luckily for me I went and picked it up. Wholly Sh!# there stuff is freakin solid, and the bolt hole matched up perfectly, I have installed alot of different aftermarket bumpers on my past truck, Shrockworks is by far the most complete, well built set up that I have ever seen. And Call Kevin, he has been the best help. The wait yes will suck, but they have been great! and I have read as well where they have been tabs on the loop, when I order mine I will want the same as well. Call Kevin 281-440-0063 He will take good care of you!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go with the textured finish. I think it looks much better than the semi-gloss but thats me. It matches the fender flares if you have a rubicon. If you don't, well than semi would look fine.

My shrockworks bumper has held up great, even with abuse. It is much easier to install it with a winch, but I didnt - and ran without a winch for a year. To install a winch you only have to take the skid off, and its not real hard - especially if you have 2 people. I did it by myself and it wasn't too bad.

Even if you have to wait for it - you won't regret going with shrockworks.

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on Shrockworks Mid, Couple ?s