Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pulled over for no license plate light ? PSC rear bumper tire carrier relocation PIC

Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoK66
First I've ever heard of a "license plate light law." Not a DOT requirement last I looked.
It's up to state law, IIRC, most states check for it on vehicle inspection and you will fail even if the bulb is burned out.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSC light pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	642947  
Old 04-06-2016, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't be required. The tag has to be visible for x feet which is what I believe the law is so they can use no light at night to pull you over. Just makes sense to me but I may be wrong.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not pass inspection in Texas because of no license plate light. So I purchased these from Amazon and they work great.

Amazon.com: Rupse 2* White LED Motorcycle, Car License Plate Screw Blot Light: Automotive

R/
Will
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
I did not pass inspection in Texas because of no license plate light. So I purchased these from Amazon and they work great. Amazon.com: Rupse 2* White LED Motorcycle, Car License Plate Screw Blot Light: Automotive R/ Will
Yes. I used the same and works great!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must have white light I believe the distance is 50 feet visible. Florida vehicle code chapter 316 section 221
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Former Member

Really don't get why you need a light on it if the whole license plate is reflective, I really don't think it makes it easier to see the plate #s
Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benm1020
Really don't get why you need a light on it if the whole license plate is reflective, I really don't think it makes it easier to see the plate #s
It is the law in NJ. License plates require proper illumination. You may think they are easy to read in the dark but that's probably because you think about being right behind a car with your headlights illuminating the characters. Now try it from a separate lane or parked on the side of the road searching for a specific plate given out over a BOLO as it buzzes by at 50mph. Not too easy then. Not to mention many states have plates of a similar color. It's hard enough to differentiate what state it is even in the daytime. Hope that offers some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKFive-O
It is the law in NJ. License plates require proper illumination. You may think they are easy to read in the dark but that's probably because you think about being right behind a car with your headlights illuminating the characters. Now try it from a separate lane or parked on the side of the road searching for a specific plate given out over a BOLO as it buzzes by at 50mph. Not too easy then. Not to mention many states have plates of a similar color. It's hard enough to differentiate what state it is even in the daytime. Hope that offers some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
My thoughts exactly. And if you're a pedestrian and see a hit and run at night say on a pedestrian and the plate isn't illuminated, well good luck with that. Maybe you prefer not to get involved but at least you had that choice. With the plate blacked out not an option. I believe anyone trying to hide their plate is up to no good. I'm not talking about accidentally but intentionally.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

And that is why when I relocated my license plate I made sure the kit I bought had a light

Click image for larger version

Name:	lTWaL4Q.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	679313

Quick Reply: pulled over for no license plate light ? PSC rear bumper tire carrier relocation PIC