Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC steering w/ 6-speed

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSC steering w/ 6-speed

I installed PSC's extreme duty hydro assist steering about 2 weeks ago. I've noticed that the steering assist doesn't "come on" until about 1200 RPM, this leaves me with steering by arm strong while at idle or during slow shifting.

I talked with PSC today about the issue and they know about the problem. They said it only effects the 6-sp owners due to the low idle speed. They have developed prototype smaller pump pulleys along with a larger idler pulley to solve this problem. This will increase pump speed so that the assist comes on at a lower RPM.

They said that they are about a month away from having aluminum pulleys available for this application. I'll be calling them in a month.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PSC steering w/ 6-speed

That sucks! By that time u will have Popeye arms!!

Sent from my Droid
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Consider a tuner that allows idle adjustment for winching, and in your application, steering pump lags.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I installed PSC's extreme duty hydro assist steering about 2 weeks ago. I've noticed that the steering assist doesn't "come on" until about 1200 RPM, this leaves me with steering by arm strong while at idle or during slow shifting.
I talked with PSC today about the issue and they know about the problem. They said it only effects the 6-sp owners due to the low idle speed. They have developed prototype smaller pump pulleys along with a larger idler pulley to solve this problem. This will increase pump speed so that the assist comes on at a lower RPM.
They said that they are about a month away from having aluminum pulleys available for this application. I'll be calling them in a month.
Hey Ken - why are you always in the small minority or problem childs? All kidding aside I'm glad to hear you did the PSC now I can pick your brain because I'm thinking about doing it sooner rather than later...never want to see the sector shaft break that Rubi-JK had on the trail!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Hey Ken - why are you always in the small minority or problem childs? All kidding aside I'm glad to hear you did the PSC now I can pick your brain because I'm thinking about doing it sooner rather than later...never want to see the sector shaft break that Rubi-JK had on the trail!
I tend to notice the little things that effect the handling and "feel" of my vehicles. Now if only I could learn blonda's throttle control.

I installed PSC to protect the sector shaft and because I smoked my power steering doing the Rubicon. Steering by arm strong for 2 days and missing a ton of the lines I wanted, sealed the deal. After a while you get tired of hearing, "turn or burn".

So far, the PSC has been great. It is an odd feeling though, to have your power assist go away during idle and when doing slow shifts. You know, the kind of driving that you do in a parking lot.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be missin sumthin, thought that psc was supposed to make it easier on slow,hard turns, not harder.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

The 6-sp have a low idle speed. PSC doesn't build pressure until 11 to 1200 RPM. I don't believe that it will be a problem off-road as the computer kicks the RPM's up in 4-low. The only times I've noticed a problem so far is in parking lots.

PSC does make it easier on slow, hard turns it just does it above 1100RPM.

The autos have a higher idle that doesn't create the issue.

Last edited by KenB1010; 08-31-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: PSC steering w/ 6-speed