Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Steering kit

Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the internet great!!!

It looks like your on your way to getting this resolved

sounds like an awesome build btw, looking forward to seeing pics of it
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanx for your service. Have a good time on leave.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I needed the break for sure right now.

I'll post a detailed write up and pictures on in the "show and tell" section when I get home.

Keeping my fingers crossed today, I really hope everything works out with the steering!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

New pump, new pulley and new belt resolved the problem. I don't have all the details yet. When I get home this weekend, I'll take pics and post the rest of the information.

I'm just glad they got everything working!

Hopefully the next guy with a 6spd won't have any issues.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'm glad they were able to get your situation resolved.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Please post pix when you can. Interested in seeing this rig, sounds great.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default pics so far

I don't have photo's with the 37s yet. The service manager will send them to me end of day along with some more detailed under body shots. The driver side front fox shock was not installed yet when these photos were taken, but the PSC steering kit was done (you can't really see it very well though)

I will post the updated pictures today.

Here's where we're at so far... I'll also post a detailed write up and a lot more photos when I get home. I have pictures from last year in my project JK gallery so you can see some of the comparison as the build has continued.

A couple from last year..

Last edited by Ryanm; 08-27-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well.... my journey into this continues into badness...

After the dealership got everything buttoned up, balanced, aligned, proper caster...etc.... My service manager went on a test drive. The steering over-reacts at highway speed, leading to some very scary stuff at anything over 60mph. Not sure if this due to a over-assisted ram. They took the Jeep to another off-road place in Des Moines for a second opinion and second set of eyes on. They've had similar experience with rigs they've built using these kits. Great setup if you trailer your rig to the trail, not so good if your driving yourself there.

I asked my service manager if he thought just leaving the PSC pump and pulley would be fine and remove the ram assist. I haven't heard back yet. I might be returning the entire kit. (not sure if they'll take it back, I guess it depends on if the PSC pump/pulley would still be a useful upgrade vs stock without the Ram assist)

I have a rough country dual stabilizer setup waiting to be installed. Either way, the Ram assist is coming off.

My PSC Ram assisted steering journey is over. I hope the rough country is as good as people have been saying, the fox stabilizer really sucked. (way too strong!!!)

Total amount spent
$1600 on steering kit
$1000 on install and removal

And I'm right back where I started.... Could have bought Rubicon Dana 44s and had them installed for just a few hundred more than the price of this mess.

I'm not even pissed anymore--disgusted sums it up.

Last edited by Ryanm; 08-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I am really sorry to hear that. What a nightmare. I was planning on getting the PSC, but since I also have a 6 spd I might go the rough country route as well. I appreciate you keeping us updated. You sure have helped me. I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better about the situation, but as a fellow jk'er, THANK YOU!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to help, thats why I wanted to post. I'm not trying to slam their kit--for hardcore--dedicated rock crawlers--this is a great option. For the rest of us, not so much (at least as in the current configuration)

Maybe if they actually get a 6spd and do some R&D work to get it right--that will make a difference. I'm throwing in the towel. I go home on Friday and I want the Jeep to be full-op when I get there. I only get 10 days with it before I come back so I don't want down days working on this issue.

When I have all the time in the world, I love to wrench on stuff. When I have very few days per year--I just want to enjoy the time as much as I can.

Quick Reply: PSC Steering kit