Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Steering kit

Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, or they could give a full refund
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn man, sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with the kit. Hopefully all turns out well in the end...keep us posted of your progress and the end result!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update for today:

New/different Pump and smaller pulley being shipped.

Dealer will have to figure out what size belt will work--I'll post the info so whoever the next guy is can be ready for this.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanm
Update for today:

New/different Pump and smaller pulley being shipped.

Dealer will have to figure out what size belt will work--I'll post the info so whoever the next guy is can be ready for this.
Cool...so are they just shipping you parts they think might work, or are they actually testing this on their setup beforehand? Kinda seems like what you said before about being the R&D guinea pig...

Edit - One more question...ever figure out the problem with the power steering going out when pressing the clutch pedal in? I think that along with the pump and pulley problems (3 total) round out the difficulties you're having.

Last edited by User 12721; 08-21-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your right, definitely guinea pig. They don't have a 6spd to test on I guess.

The way I understand the issue is the pump needs to have a smaller pulley which results in more pressure (spins faster). The pump itself needs to be different because of that factor. The Vendor is supplying the pump and PSC is supplying the pulley. They next-day air'd both parts so hopefully will know more today.

The new belt will be required because of the new pulley. I am guessing the current pulley and pump combo does not work because the pulley is not correct for the 6spd, if its even a little off, aka, loss of belt tension, I can see where the power steering would stop working.

Unless they just sent me a bad pump from the start (which is also possible, but I guess they are supposedly damn near bullet proof so it would be very unusual)

That is my understanding of the issue so far.

Everytime I see their banner ad on this site and the "Go where the pro's go", all I can think is "Back to the shop"
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanm
The Vendor is supplying the pump and PSC is supplying the pulley.
I hope you're joking ... just please tell me PSC makes the pump the vendor is supplying you with.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish I was joking... hence my ire....

I hope the pump is a PSC pump too, I honestly don't know.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update:

PSC overnighted a pump and a pulley and my dealer is installing it now. They definitely stepped up to resolve this issue in the last 24 hours. I've practically got 2-3 full kits sitting or on their way to the dealership between PSC and the vendor. Should be able to make something happen out of this.

(hoping)
Old 08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

How's it coming along?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I should know more end of day tomorrow. I'm hoping we have enough parts to resolve the issues. The belt size is definitely going to be different, I'll post what the part# and size turns out to be. Also, the parts from PSC were different from what I understand. The vendor supplied pulley was not billit and the one that came from PSC was. Maybe its just the fact that its a different pulley now. Also, the pictures of what the kit shows on the internet vs what the kit actually is are quite different. I'll take some really clear ones next week, the shop just sent me a few quickies. I know that parts and kits can vary, but the ram is pretty much a completely different unit. I don't care about the cosmetics of the Ram-assist so much as long as it works well and is reliable.

Also worth noting you really need to convert to a high-steer kit. There are some clearance issues with the stock drag-link. I'll get more details on that when I'm home as well.

I'm also still waiting on a fox shock, thats a whole other story with regards to how the remote reservoirs are mounted and impacting the shock tower on the front. Fox is changing their design and they're sending me the new ones after I come back to Iraq.

Its been an interesting build so far. I'm excited to see it! I had the JKS ACOS Pro's installed so now I have 5" lift front and 6"+ in the rear. The Emu springs should also be a nice change. I think I had one of the very first FT kits for JKs last year and those spring were too soft. I lost 1.5" of lift with the squat after fab fours bumpers, winch and spare tire. The Emus don't hardly squat at all from what I understand and are more like 3" rather than the advertised 2".

I also went to 37's this time around, although that was unplanned. I was going to do that in conjunction with axle upgrade but the 35s looked tiny after the increased lift and roof rack. I hate to say it was cosmetic, but I guess for now, thats pretty much what it was.

I'm not going to do anything hardcore this year while on leave, mainly just drive to Colorado and hang out with my parents. Haven't been home in 9 months.

Big dana's coming next year along with supercharger and a long arm kit!

Last edited by Ryanm; 08-25-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: PSC Steering kit