Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Steering kit

Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSC Steering kit

Since I seem to be the beta tester for this product on a 3.8L Jeep with 6spd, I'm just going to open this topic and then let the sponsors post what they think the problem is with the kit they are selling. I'm not going to bash anyone, I just expect them to come forward to discuss this issue so the community can decide whether this is something they should or should not do on their respective Jeeps.

If they are able to get this working for my Jeep, I'll post up the details of what was entailed and the problems that were experienced as well as the resolutions.

This has been a very costly process for me and right now, I feel like I'm paying for R&D.

I am not a happy camper and I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

?????????.........
Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your not the first and can you explain your specific problem?

PSC hydro assist kit install

4" Full Traction Long Arm Kit Install
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pump bracket included does not match up for 6spd (new bracket had to be fabricated), steering gear and pulley need to be changed from current kit for 6spd, possibly need a different serpentine belt size depending on which pulley they decide will work...

When clutch pedal is depressed, you lose power steering.

No instructions sent with kit for any part of install.

I've talked with the vendor I purchased from and they've tried to be helpful so I'm trying to refrain from truly venting here, but its definitely not a 3 hour bolt-up. They are still trying to figure out how to make it work.

My dealership has actually stopped billing me for the time because its gotten out of hand. I am thankful my service manager is a friend because this could be so much worse.

Last edited by Ryanm; 08-20-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Ok, that makes sense. I hope it gets worked out for you.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many vendors, so few instructions. This seems so far outside a bumper replacement or any of the other mods I've ended up doing without the benefit of instructions. It sounds like they were in a bit too much of a hurry to get this to market. I hope PSC makes this right for you.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
So many vendors, so few instructions. This seems so far outside a bumper replacement or any of the other mods I've ended up doing without the benefit of instructions. It sounds like they were in a bit too much of a hurry to get this to market. I hope PSC makes this right for you.
I totally agree...not made simple for us driveway mechanics
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanm
Since I seem to be the beta tester for this product on a 3.8L Jeep with 6spd, I'm just going to open this topic and then let the sponsors post what they think the problem is with the kit they are selling. I'm not going to bash anyone, I just expect them to come forward to discuss this issue so the community can decide whether this is something they should or should not do on their respective Jeeps.

If they are able to get this working for my Jeep, I'll post up the details of what was entailed and the problems that were experienced as well as the resolutions.

This has been a very costly process for me and right now, I feel like I'm paying for R&D.

I am not a happy camper and I'll leave it at that.
Sorry to hear you are unhappy.

Building your jeep should be a fun thing, especially with a luxury item like a ram assist.

We have installed a number of them on JK's with auto trans but not on 6 Speeds. PSC has been more then helpful with any part or tech question we have had. Have you contacted them directly?

I know that it is difficult when dealing with a service writer, their mechanic, the parts distributor and the manufacturer, It sometimes becomes a game of He Said, She Said. You must have a good dealership because I have NEVER heard of a dealership installing Ram Assist.

Stick with it. The Ram Assist is an awesome product for anyone with big tires who will be doing any kind of hardcore wheeling.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love my dealership, they've built the entire Jeep and at this point its getting fairly exotic. They are definitely "Jeep" guys.

I have contacted PSC, but they have not been responsive with me. I'm in Iraq too so its not like they can call me back. I do have one email from a tech.

My vendor has been very supportive in the process, but at this point I'm more interested in a solution. I'm avoiding any naming because I feel, ulimately, this is a PSC branded product and should be supported as such. My dealer has not received what I would deem, acceptable responses, from PSC. I know PSC is trying to figure out the issue, but its been at my expense.

There are two things they absolutely need to do...

#1. Outline the kit, as it sits, is for JKs with Automatic tranmissions
#2. Remove the "3 hour bolt-on" tag line from their marketing literature. They don't supply any instructions with the kit so 3 hours might be what it takes an experienced shop to install, but definitely not a first timer or even first time professional installer.

I know this will be great mod if they can figure it out. Rright now, I'm not sure its going to be resolved in a timely manner.

I come home on leave from Iraq for the first 10 days of September, if not resolved by middle of next week--I'm going to have the kit sent back and go back to a stabilizer. I only have a very few days to enjoy my Jeep. After that, it goes back into storage for another 6 months. :(

Last edited by Ryanm; 08-20-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

you could sell it to me for a discount

Quick Reply: PSC Steering kit