Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Steering Characteristics

Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PSC Steering Characteristics

Hi,

I just had a PSC hydraulic assist steering kit installed in my 2007 JKU. I havent had it offroad yet but onroad it feels pretty much like factory as they advertise which is fine. I notice when I start the engine(hot or cold) there is a resistance/roughness. I also feel this resistance/roughness when stopped with my foot on the brake with transmission in drive(i feel it in the brake pedal). If i let off the brake and move a bit forward the "rough" feel in the pedal goes away. If i let off the brake again and move forward i can get the "rough" feel to come back. I feel like its coming from the belt accessories/steering pump since that is the only new component.

Idling in park everything sounds/feels normal. Before the PSC install the resistance/roughness feel did not exist.

Im just wondering if anyone knows if this resistance/roughness is common when switching to PSC/hydraulic assist?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'v never heard of that, and did not experience it myself. If you installed it yourself,,, double check the work or take it to a shop and have them inspect it. If someone else installed, take it back and let them feel it.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

It should be much smoother and easier to turn something ain't right.

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

it was installed by a shop who has installed many of these kits. Theres no problem turning, it feels just like oem which is how this kit is valved. Jeep '07 & Up JK Extreme Duty Cylinder Assist Kit (Aftermarket Axles)-SK265 : Cylinder Assist Steering System Kits, Jeep Cylinder Assist Kits | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components, power steering

it also came with a new ps pump from psc as it has a hemi. had another good look today for any pulleys that might be rubbing but found nothing. the psc reservoir in the hemis is mounted on a bracket attached to the brake booster. wondering if its possibly picking up some vibrations.

im going to test it out offroad this weekend and see how it does.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Did they bleed out all the air?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts as well - sounds to me like there might still be some air trapped in there; when it hits an air pocket, the air will compress before moving the fluid; and if the fluid isn't moving, your wheels aren't turning. This can lead to a moment where your draglink and steering box and starting to move the wheels, but the ram cylinder isn't budging - hence rough feel, or feeling like your fighting the wheel.

***Edit, just re-read your description of the issue after posting this...
So you feel this rough feel in the brake pedal? Or are you feeling it in the steering wheel when first trying to turn after braking or after start up? Think I'm a little lost on what your experiencing.

Last edited by kbp810; 06-05-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id pull the reservoir off the brake booster and zip tie it out of the way just to eliminate that as a possibility. I had a compressor mounted on mine and the vibrations could be felt through the brake pedal.

If that doesn't do it, Id pop off the belt and try turning the pump by hand to ensure there isnt some minor defect causing some resistance in the pump itself.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Id pull the reservoir off the brake booster and zip tie it out of the way just to eliminate that as a possibility. I had a compressor mounted on mine and the vibrations could be felt through the brake pedal.

If that doesn't do it, Id pop off the belt and try turning the pump by hand to ensure there isnt some minor defect causing some resistance in the pump itself.
Excellent idea, i just may try that.

As for air in the system I highly doubt it as i haven't seen bubbles or foaming in the reservoir. I took the reservoir cap off,started the engine and let it run for a few minutes then shut the engine off and not a single bubble or spray of fluid out the reservoir.Theres no sqealing,reservoir is above the pump,feed line is short and straight(no kinks). The reservoir fluid level was about 2" below the top so i added enough to bring it about 1" below the top which is what psc recommends.

What I feel in the brake pedal is more of a vibration and I felt it a bit in the gas pedal too. Its just really odd, with the engine running when I touch the reservoir I don't feel any vibration on it even though the bracket its on is connected directly to the face of the brake booster.

Thanks for the posts

Quick Reply: PSC Steering Characteristics