Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
That's what I hear too. But folks say that after you get used to it you don't notice it. It's just different. I had the option of going with a 1.5" cylinder or a 1.75". The 1.75" is probably a bit slower but has more power offroad so I chose it. Mine isn't a DD so as long as it gets me to the trail OK I'm happy if it works better off road.

My main concern is the sector shaft. I can deal with damaged drag links and tie rods and cobble something together to get to a road and a tow. But with a sheared sector shaft your pretty much screwed and face an expensive tow. Since the PSC costs about what a steering box costs it seems to be reasonable insurance while providing more capability off road.
Chuck45,

Now that you have had the kit on for a while...what are your impressions? How does this drive on the road compared to a stock steering set-up as far as delay is concerned? Steering dampening etc? I am getting ready to do the same thing, and just want to make sure this is a good move for me. My jeep is not a DD, but i do drive it on the road quite a bit, and to get to the trails.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
Chuck45,

Now that you have had the kit on for a while...what are your impressions? How does this drive on the road compared to a stock steering set-up as far as delay is concerned? Steering dampening etc? I am getting ready to do the same thing, and just want to make sure this is a good move for me. My jeep is not a DD, but i do drive it on the road quite a bit, and to get to the trails.

Thanks,

Steve
I would do it again in a heartbeat and have no regrets. It is a little bit different but you get used to it quickly. At first it feels a bit more sesitive to your input on the freeway. After I installed it I let my wife drive the Jeep over to Moab (about 90 miles away) and she didn't comment that anything felt different; and she is very sensitive to things like that.

I have no issues with DW or anything like that. You could call hydro asssit the ultimate steering dampener.

My Jeep is not a DD either but a trail rig (and get to the trail rig too I guess) and if you spend anytime in rocks or on high traction surfaces like slick-rock it is an awesome mod. I recomend PSC steering assist highly and regard it as a "must have" mod due to the additional performance and that it protects the sector shaft.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make checking your ball joints a part of your maintenance routine. I've run hydro assist for about 10 years and its amazingly good at helping ball joints to a premature death.

My 60 front was fine, but the 9" with 44 outers front in my CJ with 37s went through a set about every 6 months.

Remember that its just a log splitter. If you give a quality hydro assist the chance it'll kill parts.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sethmark
Make checking your ball joints a part of your maintenance routine. I've run hydro assist for about 10 years and its amazingly good at helping ball joints to a premature death.

My 60 front was fine, but the 9" with 44 outers front in my CJ with 37s went through a set about every 6 months.

Remember that its just a log splitter. If you give a quality hydro assist the chance it'll kill parts.
I think JK's go thru ball joints regardless of whether they have hydro assist or not. But it certainly makes sense that hydro assist will put more stress on them. I think it is especially bad on heavy 4 doors. Jeep screwed the pooch on the 4 drs; people buy them to load them up and there is no excuse for not putting 60's under the front and rear - well other than stupidity and cheapness.

I do have one ball jont that is going and another starting. I need to decide whather to drop the 600 bucks into a pair of Dynatracs (which are not available with any correction) or get good at putting either factory ones (cheap) in or the aftermarket Moogs that have correction available. Of course I also want to roll my knuckes so I can have both proper caster AND a good pinion angle. If the economy was better I'd just go with 60's and get rid of the POS 44.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya gotta remember that for every Rubicon that gets sold, 9 out of 10 of them never see a lick of dirt. Jeep is building for accountants, lawyers, and investors long before they're building for enthusiasts.

Knowing Jim at Dynatrac, their ball joints are excellent and worth every penny. He doesn't half ass anything, ever. But 37s with hydro on a 44 is too much. You've done every upgrade money can buy and its still JUST enough to keep it from exploding. A 60 is like heaven. I hated the 9" hybrid I had in the Feep. 9" guts, 44 outers and dead knuckles once a year and dead ball joints every few month. Hydro, 37s and 375hp is a BAD combo.

Quick Reply: PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!