Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
I'm ready to order the same package from PSC and send my pump. How did it work out for you?
Let me know how it works out for you Doug. I had the PSC kit on my XJ and considered it one of my most favorite mods. I'd like to do the same on the JK.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Do it! You won't regret it. It makes a huge difference when aired down to 10 or 12 pounds.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does hydraulic steering assist feel like for those of us who've never driven a vehicle equipped with such a system?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cyruspura
What does hydraulic steering assist feel like for those of us who've never driven a vehicle equipped with such a system?
Hit a trail and go over a section with some decent sized boulders. Your wheel will want to turn side to side depending on the angles of the rocks you are traversing. If you want your wheels to go straight in spite of the rocks, you're battling that all the way. I used to wear gloves to keep my hand fatigue lower.

With the PSC your wheels go straight over those rocks, you barely feel any side to side pull on your wheel.

Drive on a narrow cliff side road and come to an impassable obstacle like a six foot snow bank where turning around is your only option and a thirty point turn is the only way to do it. With standard steering, you're ready for a picnic and a good break once you get turned around. The PSC makes it happen practically one fingered without even breaking a sweat.

Those are two of the things I've noticed with the PSC.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepcrazed
Let me know how it works out for you Doug. I had the PSC kit on my XJ and considered it one of my most favorite mods. I'd like to do the same on the JK.
Kelvin and the guys at PSC did me right, and it works AWESOME!

Highly recommend and would do it again.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Sweet! I'll have to come by and take a look. I'm not sure if I'll do the entire kit this time. I can just weld on some tabs to mount the ram and get the box drilled/tapped and then upgrade the pump.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember reading a thread that this will only work with automatic transmissions...does anyone know if PSC has adopted this to work with manual transmissions?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Hey Chuck45 and Seer1, what offset are you running on your wheels? I have the PSC steering 1.75" ram with 3.75 BS Walkers on 37" KM2's. Full width Dynatrac 60's. And although its just a tad slower driving normal. That's easy to deal with but when I'm in the rocks and doing a 3 point turn in a friggin switchback over a boulder it seems you have to wait for it to catch up. Now I'm definitely not revving and have a automatic. I have notice other guys with less BS wheels having little or no trouble. Just curious cause common sense tells me being wider is the culprit. It will work when the stock steering would just stop. I use to have the AEV beadlocks with 10mm BS. And one final question guys thanks for your patience, I have the reservoir from PSC do you guys have a cooler on yours? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKDinker
Hey Chuck45 and Seer1, what offset are you running on your wheels? I have the PSC steering 1.75" ram with 3.75 BS Walkers on 37" KM2's. Full width Dynatrac 60's. And although its just a tad slower driving normal. That's easy to deal with but when I'm in the rocks and doing a 3 point turn in a friggin switchback over a boulder it seems you have to wait for it to catch up. Now I'm definitely not revving and have a automatic. I have notice other guys with less BS wheels having little or no trouble. Just curious cause common sense tells me being wider is the culprit. It will work when the stock steering would just stop. I use to have the AEV beadlocks with 10mm BS. And one final question guys thanks for your patience, I have the reservoir from PSC do you guys have a cooler on yours? Thanks.
I'm running 17X9 Unique 297's with 5" backspacing. I sometimes notice a lag, but it doesn't become noticable except at full turn at slow to no speeds. I was taught (screamed at) when I was just learning to drive about full turns while sitting still wrecking sector shafts. I try to stop a hair short of full turn either way and that seems to take care of most of the lag. I was told a cooler was not really necessary as the ooomph in the ram didn't really put any stress on the rest of the system. I do put my nose in the res once in a while and sniff just to make sure. So far so good although that thing can get pretty hot. ( So does everything else under the hood.)
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
I'm running 17X9 Unique 297's with 5" backspacing. I sometimes notice a lag, but it doesn't become noticable except at full turn at slow to no speeds. I was taught (screamed at) when I was just learning to drive about full turns while sitting still wrecking sector shafts. I try to stop a hair short of full turn either way and that seems to take care of most of the lag. I was told a cooler was not really necessary as the ooomph in the ram didn't really put any stress on the rest of the system. I do put my nose in the res once in a while and sniff just to make sure. So far so good although that thing can get pretty hot. ( So does everything else under the hood.)
My bad I have 4.75" BS. So you have full width rearends? Or stock. I have actually had my steering with Hyd assist not turn cause being up against a rock in a tight switchback. A friend of mine with the same steering has a cooler on his. It justs adds more fluid. Was wondering if you guys had one. Also if you wheel in the rocks everyone that has the PSC steering might want to get the plugs for you steering box (cap off the lines). That way if you rip a line it won't take the box with it and you can get home. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!