Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!

Since I know of three JK's that have sheared their sector shaft playing in the rocks I decided to go with hydro assist steering. I looked at PSC and RedNeck Ram. I was going to go with RNR because I was going to use weld-on brackets but decided I didn't have the time to mess with that right now and he is in the middle of a move and his promised turn around time was too long and he tends to lag behind his promise on turn-around. It is the summer and I didn't want to have an incpacitated Jeep!

So PSC got the business. I called and aranged things with Kelvin. They have an entire kit for about 1700 bucks which was more than I wanted to spend. It includes a new steering box (which is desireable if you have already sheared your sector shaft) and a new PS pump and resevoir. We deleted the PS pump as mine is in good shape. We worked out a deal where he would rebuilt my steering box with new seals and bearings and provide the billet cap with the hose tie-ins, provide the axle bolt on mounting bracket, the tie rod bracket and bore it out for my RK 1 5/8" tie rod, a 1.75" cylinder, and the hoses and fittings needed. The total cost was 675.00 as my steering box was in good condition. He tells me a box with a lot of miles might go up to about 725.00.

I pulled it off Monday morning and sent it FedEx Express Saver which was supposed to be delivered Thursday but they delivered it a day early. I had called Kelvin yesterday (Tuesday) and told him that my wife told me that she had come into some additional days off and wanted to go on a wheeling trip and could they turn it around quickly. He said they would do their best. I get an email notification from FedEx that it was delivered at 12:16. Apparently they immediatly put it on the bench and rebuilt it, bored out the clamp, assembled the parts and it was out the door at 3:15! So I should have it Monday.

Guys, and Gals, this is ABSOLUTELY STELLAR SERVICE. I am amazed and impressed. I'll install it next week when it comes in and after we get back from our three day wheeling trip I'll post my impressions of how it works.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I hear that the PSC works great offroad, but onroad there is a slight lag in the steering.

Looking foward to your feedback. Have fun on your wheeling trip.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
I hear that the PSC works great offroad, but onroad there is a slight lag in the steering.

Looking foward to your feedback. Have fun on your wheeling trip.
That's what I hear too. But folks say that after you get used to it you don't notice it. It's just different. I had the option of going with a 1.5" cylinder or a 1.75". The 1.75" is probably a bit slower but has more power offroad so I chose it. Mine isn't a DD so as long as it gets me to the trail OK I'm happy if it works better off road.

My main concern is the sector shaft. I can deal with damaged drag links and tie rods and cobble something together to get to a road and a tow. But with a sheared sector shaft your pretty much screwed and face an expensive tow. Since the PSC costs about what a steering box costs it seems to be reasonable insurance while providing more capability off road.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Doesn't ORE offer a sector shaft brace?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wondering if PSC have fixed the issue with manuals.

there are 2 things i am waiting for YEARS PSC ram for manual and Teraflex Dual sway bar disconnect
Old 05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Your wait for the Teraflex dual swaybar might come to an end in SEMA 2009 ;-)

Let's cross our fingers.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
Doesn't ORE offer a sector shaft brace?
Yes but I can't see how it can help with rotational shear forces; only side to side shear forces. And while it may support the long sector shaft the JK has it will not help you turn into a boulder you may need to climb, help hold you at an angle up a wall when sidewalling, or help to control bump steer. And obviously with the PSC you get rid of the steering stabilizer. The 1.75" cylinder can exert 3600 pounds of force (assuming 1500 psi from the PS pump) to turn the wheel if need be; or resist the wheel trying to turn by an equal amount of force (the 1.5" cylinder can put out or resist 2600 pounds). The ORE unit is just a brace and doesn't suite my needs.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zak
wondering if PSC have fixed the issue with manuals.

there are 2 things i am waiting for YEARS PSC ram for manual and Teraflex Dual sway bar disconnect
When you say a PSC ram for manual are you saying for use with a pure manual steering box (unlike the JK's PS steering box)? If so you have two choices. One is to go pure hydraulic with an orbital valve which I wouldn't do with any vehicle that could see street use. Or you can go retro. I had a 74 Ford F250 with a pure manual steering box and hydraulic ram assist steering. Indepndent of the steering box it had a mechinsim to detect which way you were turning and how much and directed the fluid to the ram on the tie ride and axle accordingly. Don't wait - hit the junkyard. That old sytem worked and I ran 36" tires way back when. No bump steer and you could always turn when you needed to.

FWIW that old truck was a beast. Detroit Locker in the D60 in the back and Detroit TrueTrac in the D44 up front. Granny gear (6 something to 1) NP 435 tranny. I used to have a blast idling up things that Toy LC's with their open axles couldn't get up charging. I wish I still had that truck.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
We worked out a deal where he would rebuilt my steering box with new seals and bearings and provide the billet cap with the hose tie-ins, provide the axle bolt on mounting bracket, the tie rod bracket and bore it out for my RK 1 5/8" tie rod, a 1.75" cylinder, and the hoses and fittings needed. The total cost was 675.00 as my steering box was in good condition.
I'm ready to order the same package from PSC and send my pump. How did it work out for you?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Slippery
I'm ready to order the same package from PSC and send my pump. How did it work out for you?
Absolutely great. I will never own another off road vehicle without a hydraulic assist sytem like this. I can't recommend it highly enough. PSC's turnaround time was exceptional.

Quick Reply: PSC Hydro Assist steering - they really performed!