Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK

Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kit from psc came with the tube style cooler..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120710_050705.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	339378  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
Hey Dennisr, you're running 37's. You've got DW. Are you running stock ball joints? You can have one go bad and the rest are good and this can cause the problem. I know this is a pain but I would pull both front tires off and remove the knuckles and check the ball joints. My ball joints we shot when we rebuild the front end at less then 3000 miles. I kept the two that were "ok" for spares on the trail. The other two I can blow on them and they move.

A recommendation for anyone running 37's on stock ball joints, replace them They are the weakest link on the JK's. I went with Dynatrac uppers and lowers that I can rebuild.
I still have the stock ball joints. When I ordered my axles with Dynatrac I could have chosen the dynatrac ball joints, but went with the stock ones. Wrong decision.

My holiday starts next week, so I'll check them then.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks my salesman didn't mention this during the sale. More money good grief.....
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started this thread a year ago and still have the desire to switch to a full hydro setup. I thought let's search the web a little more on this subject and came across this website, which has all the information you need on a full hydro steering setup.

Because they know what they are talking about, I particularly liked this quote;

A: The answer to this one is the same as for most other "modifications". In other words, it can be, if done right. Now, you will hear all manner of people going on about "no mechanical linkage" and "no backup" and such. Most of these people don't have a clue how it works. There is also a huge knee-jerk reaction claiming it is patently unsafe and unfit at speed and not road-worth, simply because it is hydraulic, and people don't understand hydraulics, and so they think it m=somehow means certain death. I have long found this curious, as people will tool down the road with huge tires and woefully undersize and/or incredibly poorly engineered steering setups, and nobody flinches. On the other hand there are literally hundreds of machines that rely totally on hydraulics with no backups - from mining trucks to aircraft flight controls to the steering gear on massive ocean liners to cranes lifting huge weights...the whole idea that hydraulics are somehow more risky than mechanicals is absolutely ludicrous.

Q: When the engine stalls or the pump fails, is it possible to turn with hydro steering ?

A: Yes, with most steering control units. There is a small check valve in the steering unit that acts as a pump and will supply enough fluid to the cylinder for limited manual steering in emergencies. The effect is very similar to standard power-steering with the engine off - i.e. with big tires at low pressure and locked axles it is VERY hard to steer, but it can be done, and if rolling at a good speed, isn't too too bad.

Just wanted to share this.

Quick Reply: PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK