Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK

Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a clanking and could feel something was not right.
Found out it was the lower bolt/nut on the bracket hitting
and rubbing on the tie rod. Have after market tie rod so
it is larger diameter. Installer going to cut bracket and
re-weld inch or so higher. Really concerned about getting
hydraulic assist, but now really like it, no steering problems
Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pappasmurf
I receintly had the PSC installed and I have a clanking noise when turning, it appears to be the Johnny joint on the ram. Is this something you guys have experienced?, plus I have an extreme pull to the left after aliagnment. They did install upper and lower controll arms on the rear and front. Any suggestions? we swapped the tires around. The jeep has pulled hard left the entire 3 years I have owned it.
Pulling hard left; Usually something wrong with the alignment. Or worn bushings when accelerating or braking they change your alignment. Or maybe play somewhere else (steering system). Hopefully the car had no accident in the past?

Regarding the psc system; you're running a full hydro system (no assist) on your JK? I'm very curious on how it handles.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

GCM2 or WOL, Thanks for the good reads. I was thinking about getting the steering assist that you both have, but had no idea it required a cooler to keep from damaging the pump. Did you guys use the cooler they have on their site and is it installed right in front of the radiator? Finally, do you know what the difference is between the extreme duty that you both have and the 4 Door Cylinder Assist Kit 1.75 Cylinder (New Style) they have? Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions, but any knowledge anyone has on this subject would be great.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chronotripper
GCM2 or WOL, Thanks for the good reads. I was thinking about getting the steering assist that you both have, but had no idea it required a cooler to keep from damaging the pump. Did you guys use the cooler they have on their site and is it installed right in front of the radiator? Finally, do you know what the difference is between the extreme duty that you both have and the 4 Door Cylinder Assist Kit 1.75 Cylinder (New Style) they have? Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions, but any knowledge anyone has on this subject would be great.
I bought the Derale heat sink style cooler. Most people place it infront of the radiator on the lower crossmember because its easy. The cool thing about the Derale's, you can have both inlet and outlet on one end or you can have one on each end, this allows unlimited mounting locations and you can truly mount any style cooler almost anywhere (frame rails, behind radiator, infront, etc). If I had not done the tubular heat sink style, I would have done one of the heavy duty plate and fin design which work even better. Hell, you can even do one with a small spal fan.

As far as the difference in extreme vs. any other style, I have never quite figured out exactly what was the difference. Maybe it's the volume it can flow? I do know I have the kit for aftermarket axles, which comes with tabs to weld as opposed to a bolt on bracket.

Also, I do know even if you burn up a pump it's still drivable, but you need to be spinning rpms fairly high (1700-2000) to turn 40" tires at slow speeds or a dead stop

I noticed after just looking at PSC's website due to your post, their prices have gone up. So that always sucks! But it's a business for profit like any other. I have found through my dealings with them that they are pretty at good customer service, should you need to use them. Hope this helped somehow brother!

Last edited by GCM 2; 07-08-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Dennisr, you're running 37's. You've got DW. Are you running stock ball joints? You can have one go bad and the rest are good and this can cause the problem. I know this is a pain but I would pull both front tires off and remove the knuckles and check the ball joints. My ball joints we shot when we rebuild the front end at less then 3000 miles. I kept the two that were "ok" for spares on the trail. The other two I can blow on them and they move.

A recommendation for anyone running 37's on stock ball joints, replace them They are the weakest link on the JK's. I went with Dynatrac uppers and lowers that I can rebuild.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I bought the Derale heat sink style cooler. Most people place it infront of the radiator on the lower crossmember because its easy. The cool thing about the Derale's, you can have both inlet and outlet on one end or you can have one on each end, this allows unlimited mounting locations and you can truly mount any style cooler almost anywhere (frame rails, behind radiator, infront, etc). If I had not done the tubular heat sink style, I would have done one of the heavy duty plate and fin design which work even better. Hell, you can even do one with a small spal fan.

As far as the difference in extreme vs. any other style, I have never quite figured out exactly what was the difference. Maybe it's the volume it can flow? I do know I have the kit for aftermarket axles, which comes with tabs to weld as opposed to a bolt on bracket.

Also, I do know even if you burn up a pump it's still drivable, but you need to be spinning rpms fairly high (1700-2000) to turn 40" tires at slow speeds or a dead stop

I noticed after just looking at PSC's website due to your post, their prices have gone up. So that always sucks! But it's a business for profit like any other. I have found through my dealings with them that they are pretty at good customer service, should you need to use them. Hope this helped somehow brother!

I put on the PCS dual cooler, so it cools the transmission as well as the steering. It is a great investment to your rig.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
I put on the PCS dual cooler, so it cools the transmission as well as the steering. It is a great investment to your rig.
I put the same system on. Works great and a nice and clean install.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
Originally Posted by Scott08X
I put the same system on. Works great and a nice and clean install.
PSC came out with that setup about a year after I bought my heat sink cooler, I am still considering switching over to that dual cooler. Very clean looking setup!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dennisr
Pulling hard left; Usually something wrong with the alignment. Or worn bushings when accelerating or braking they change your alignment. Or maybe play somewhere else (steering system). Hopefully the car had no accident in the past?

Regarding the psc system; you're running a full hydro system (no assist) on your JK? I'm very curious on how it handles.
I am running the PSC assisted steering, and everything "steering" is new on the front of the jeep. The front end was aliagned before it left the shop, and swapped the tires. So when I get back in town we will be back in the shop. But I'm going to have to read back. Are you guys saying ill need a cooler for this assisted steering set up?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pappasmurf
Are you guys saying ill need a cooler for this assisted steering set up?
Yes, just consider it a must. If you read through the details of an installation from PSC, they state that an aftermarket cooler is required with their set ups.

Quick Reply: PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK