Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK

Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK

Well, I'm thinking of buying a setup like this. I know of the advantages it has offroad, but I'm thinking more about the advantages on the road.

As mentioned in another thread regarding death wobble issues I'm also having trouble eliminating death wobble and bumpsteer. My thoughts are that without the draglink and the psc full hydro steering setup directly mounted to the axle I would be totally dw and bs free.

There are some things to consider;
- Steering feeling, but I've read a few articles and they stated that it isn't that bad
- Re-centering of the steering wheel. There are valves which do this automatically
- Road legal. This is different everywhere

I also like to mention that my JK is also a daily driver. However the daily trips are only a few miles, but I also like to attend 4x4 related stuff throughout Europe. So, I do use the JK on the road.

How are your thoughts on this setup, or does any of you drive with this steering method.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

No need to go with a full hydraulic set-up unless you plan on running tires larger than a 44" Full hydro set ups are typically not very friendly for street use due to the wandering (for example; constantly sawing the wheel back and forth on the highway trying to keep the wheel centered and driving straight) and steering feel is extremely sensitive at normal street speeds.

There is really nothing wrong with just running the Ram Assist Extreme Duty kit, you will find that 99% of JK's running big tires and playing in serious rocks run this exact set up with a steering fluid cooler.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what GCM 2 said, you really don't need it and i personally wouldn't recommend it. a ram assist will be all that you need.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
No need to go with a full hydraulic set-up unless you plan on running tires larger than a 44" Full hydro set ups are typically not very friendly for street use due to the wandering (for example; constantly sawing the wheel back and forth on the highway trying to keep the wheel centered and driving straight) and steering feel is extremely sensitive at normal street speeds.

There is really nothing wrong with just running the Ram Assist Extreme Duty kit, you will find that 99% of JK's running big tires and playing in serious rocks run this exact set up with a steering fluid cooler.
I don't want to use the hydraulic because I need the assist. I thought about this setup to eliminate certain factors that cause bs and dw. And when I searched the web there were comments that said; It's no problem using a full hydraulic steering setup in a daily driver as long as you use the correct parts. Or that the steering wheel still re-centers
after installing a full hydro set.

I assume you need te keep the amount of fluid transported from the pump at a certain limit, so you have a better driveabiltiy when the rpm's go up. And there are valves that re-center the steering wheel.

Does someone has a full hydro steering in his (or her) JK, because I'm curious about his thoughts? If nobody has it, that also says enough.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what GCM 2 said, you really don't need it and i personally wouldn't recommend it. a ram assist will be all that you need.
When I install a ram assist I believe this will also put a stop to the bs and dw issue, because the piston in the ram won't move without turning the wheel. I only think this is a bandage on the problem, because the problem itself still remains.

So the full hydro sytem that psc developed to put on the JK's is for offroad use only, is that correct?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have that much issues with DW, you might have other problems and just like a SS. All you are doing is cobering up the underlying issue.
Check your trackbar, see if the bushings are OK. if not, more likely that the hole in the bracket on either the frame or the axle is ovaled out.
Check all your bushing on your control arms, and also look at your ball joints.

My DW came from all of the above, so don't stop if you think you found your trackbar has some play in it.

As the others have said, RAM assist is the way to go. Full Hydro IMO is not the savest onroad, and think of the liability while you are in traffic.
I thought Belguim had some strict vehicle inspections, so would you be able to pass them with the Full Hydro set up?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dennisr
When I install a ram assist I believe this will also put a stop to the bs and dw issue, because the piston in the ram won't move without turning the wheel. I only think this is a bandage on the problem, because the problem itself still remains.

So the full hydro sytem that psc developed to put on the JK's is for offroad use only, is that correct?
I wasn't aware that there is a JK specific Full Hydraulic System. To clarify what you mean by full system; you are completely eliminating any traditonal steering= gear box/pitman arm/drag link etc, and replacing only with a fluid pump and two sided ram. If so, than you definitely DO want to go with the system Wayoflife and I run (click the PSC link in my signature for exactly what we run). The full ram system (two sided ram) can be run on the street, however because it is COMPLETELY hydraulic you will lose almost all steering feel since you are isolated from any connectivity to all the steering gear and if you realize it or not, this is something that makes a vehicle feel like you are driving a corvette, mini-van or a school bus. Race car/Rock Crawler steering is great for racing, but on a daily driver absolutely sucks and can actually be dangerous since the steering input is so different than traditional rack and pinion, or power steering systems. That is why the "ram assist" set up is favored on daily drivers, you retain much of the steering feel, it will turn 37"-42" tires effortlessly, but is does change the amount of steering input (needing much less effort in the cab turning the steering wheel) and this is where guys will say of their system "I have flighty steering" or "it feels sketchy". But truthfully this is probably due to the amount of caster they run. My entire steering system is spot on, from the flat geometry of the drag link when compared to the tie rod, the amount of caster, etc, which all leads to zero death wobble. In fact my steering feel is very precise with the PSC set up. Hope all of this has been of some help
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helnbk
If you have that much issues with DW, you might have other problems and just like a SS. All you are doing is cobering up the underlying issue.
Check your trackbar, see if the bushings are OK. if not, more likely that the hole in the bracket on either the frame or the axle is ovaled out.
Check all your bushing on your control arms, and also look at your ball joints.

My DW came from all of the above, so don't stop if you think you found your trackbar has some play in it.

As the others have said, RAM assist is the way to go. Full Hydro IMO is not the savest onroad, and think of the liability while you are in traffic.
I thought Belguim had some strict vehicle inspections, so would you be able to pass them with the Full Hydro set up?
I checked all of the above. Not saying I missed something, but all my stuff is brandnew since last year and the Jeep has been aligned twice.
Still have issues. New steering stabilizer is on the way and it will be better after that, but off course that's only temporarely. That's why I was investigating
other options.

You're well aware of the vehicle regulations over here, but I'm not going to drive the car on Belgium license plates. That's almost impossible.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't aware that there is a JK specific Full Hydraulic System. To clarify what you mean by full system; you are completely eliminating any traditonal steering= gear box/pitman arm/drag link etc, and replacing only with a fluid pump and two sided ram. If so, than you definitely DO want to go with the system Wayoflife and I run (click the PSC link in my signature for exactly what we run). The full ram system (two sided ram) can be run on the street, however because it is COMPLETELY hydraulic you will lose almost all steering feel since you are isolated from any connectivity to all the steering gear and if you realize it or not, this is something that makes a vehicle feel like you are driving a corvette, mini-van or a school bus. Race car/Rock Crawler steering is great for racing, but on a daily driver absolutely sucks and can actually be dangerous since the steering input is so different than traditional rack and pinion, or power steering systems. That is why the "ram assist" set up is favored on daily drivers, you retain much of the steering feel, it will turn 37"-42" tires effortlessly, but is does change the amount of steering input (needing much less effort in the cab turning the steering wheel) and this is where guys will say of their system "I have flighty steering" or "it feels sketchy". But truthfully this is probably due to the amount of caster they run. My entire steering system is spot on, from the flat geometry of the drag link when compared to the tie rod, the amount of caster, etc, which all leads to zero death wobble. In fact my steering feel is very precise with the PSC set up. Hope all of this has been of some help
Always, thank you for your explanation.. I understand everything you're telling me, but I still like to hear stories about owners of this system. I actually do not need the assist part, I only want a better ride with less information from the road, if you know what I mean. I know it's a Jeep, but that doesn't mean I need to feel every hole.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I receintly had the PSC installed and I have a clanking noise when turning, it appears to be the Johnny joint on the ram. Is this something you guys have experienced?, plus I have an extreme pull to the left after aliagnment. They did install upper and lower controll arms on the rear and front. Any suggestions? we swapped the tires around. The jeep has pulled hard left the entire 3 years I have owned it.

Quick Reply: PSC Full hydraulic steering kit for JK