Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Protecting my underside

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubicon
Thanks for the input fellas. I've seen the evo stuff and really like the price but I like the one piece design by rock hard and others more. I just feel it will do a better job helping the jeep slide across and breakover issues.

So looks like it's Rock hard skid, riddler diff covers, and Synergy control arm skids.

Would these be the way to go over the basic weld ons or are those not worth the extra money.
Synergy Suspension Jeep JK Rear Lower Control Arm Skids w/ Integrated Shock Mounts
Careful with those diff covers, there are clearance issues with certain track bars.

The down side to the one piece systems is that have a tendency to collect trail debris - which can be dangerous if it catches fire. Also, you are worrying about stuff that sits higher than almost all of the drivetrain and suspension. If you are sliding on some of that, you will probably be winching yourself off the rock.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should have explained what I'm sliding on... I don't do any kind of true rock crawling. Most of my wheeling is done on my family farm and similar trails found in VA. Mainly muddy trails, creek crossings, some hill climbs, etc. Having said that, I have noticed I'm getting hung up occasionally on my crossmember and occasionally dragging the rear diff. A lot of the trails are rutted out to the point that my tires drop in and my underside drags along. I know with larger tires I'll address some of that but thought some skid plates couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Stubicon; 11-05-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, are you in VA? If so, do you ever make it down to Shoecreek? Another forum member and I were talking about heading to Red Cloud and maybe Rausch in the coming months.
Yeah I am in NOVA. I have been to shoecreek a few time but it has been probably 4 years. I was at red cloud a few weeks ago. I also put a dent in the oil pan there. Lucky it was just a dent.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may or may not know this, but to my knowledge, lower control arm skids on the FRAME side have not been developed. The synergy weld ons go on the axle end, but to date, the frame end is still a risk..
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I wheel harder than most and sold mine. It really just isn't needed and not a good use of cash. It does create a larger and lower surface area, but agree it doesn't hang more than 1/4" lower.
You loss more than 1/4" airing down. So that is nothing to be concerned about for a diff skid. We all have our own ideas of what is wheeling hard, but if I may quote CALIJK who built the BEAST and probably wheels harder than 99% of us.

Originally Posted by ade
One AEV rear diff skid. (With a few trail kisses and very nice oil splatter from the last dealership oil change when they filled the oil pan skid)

Attachment 581135

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Nice choice - I highly recommend this extra protection for anyone who wheels hard in rocks.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Careful with those diff covers, there are clearance issues with certain track bars. The down side to the one piece systems is that have a tendency to collect trail debris - which can be dangerous if it catches fire. Also, you are worrying about stuff that sits higher than almost all of the drivetrain and suspension. If you are sliding on some of that, you will probably be winching yourself off the rock.
Are you referring to the Riddler covers or diff covers in general? And I see what you're saying about debris. My stock transfer case skid collects mud, gravel, etc as it sits right now. I'm hoping larger tires will give me the clearance I'm needing. And eventually I'll probably end up getting 1.5 or 2.5 springs.

Last edited by Stubicon; 11-06-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ade
You loss more than 1/4" airing down. So that is nothing to be concerned about for a diff skid. We all have our own ideas of what is wheeling hard, but if I may quote CALIJK who built the BEAST and probably wheels harder than 99% of us.
I'd say I wheel hard. So far this season I've blown up new Synergy ball joints, front and rear wheels bearings, a drag link, 4 bead lock rings, a driveshaft... And two weekends ago, I blew up my front D44 ring and pinion and my rear pinion bearing. And all my stock brackets are beyond repair, which I am cutting off and welding beef on for the new owner.

Clearance is important to me, as you will see if you watch my build thread where I am doing a front and rear stretch, double triangulated 4 link, all brackets at or above frame and axle level, close to flat skid belly, etc. I'll have a nice fat Sterling 10.5 out back and no diff cover

I'm just saying it is 85% snake oil, but won't hurt anything. I got mine for free and was about to give it away until a friend said people pay money for them. Even with the trail abuse, I got $185 for it! As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Really though, I could make one for less than $50.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Are you referring to the Riddler covers or diff covers in general? And I see what you're saying about debris. My stock transfer case skid collects mud, gravel, etc as it sits right now. I'm hoping larger tires will give me the clearance I'm needing. And eventually I'll probably end up getting 1.5 or 2.5 springs.
Yes, certain aftermarket diff covers have clearance issues with track bars. The Riddler's as I recall, are more prone than most. Poison Spyder is the same issue. Just confirm before you buy. I had contact issues back when I had Poison Spyder covers and stock track bars.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

I'd say I wheel hard. So far this season I've blown up new Synergy ball joints, front and rear wheels bearings, a drag link, 4 bead lock rings, a driveshaft... And two weekends ago, I blew up my front D44 ring and pinion and my rear pinion bearing. And all my stock brackets are beyond repair, which I am cutting off and welding beef on for the new owner. Clearance is important to me, as you will see if you watch my build thread where I am doing a front and rear stretch, double triangulated 4 link, all brackets at or above frame and axle level, close to flat skid belly, etc. I'll have a nice fat Sterling 10.5 out back and no diff cover I'm just saying it is 85% snake oil, but won't hurt anything. I got mine for free and was about to give it away until a friend said people pay money for them. Even with the trail abuse, I got $185 for it! As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Really though, I could make one for less than $50.
Breaking things is not a sign of wheelin hard. IMO it is a sign of too much skinny pedal or trying too many times on the wrong line or your rig is just not up to it. The majority of the aftermarket parts could be made for a fraction of the cost to purchase, it is whether the person has the skills or mind to do so.

Will check out your build thread.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ade
Breaking things is not a sign of wheelin hard. IMO it is a sign of too much skinny pedal or trying too many times on the wrong line or your rig is just not up to it. The majority of the aftermarket parts could be made for a fraction of the cost to purchase, it is whether the person has the skills or mind to do so.

Will check out your build thread.
It's actually big tires on beadlocks in the rocks that did all the damage. The constant stress of wheeling weekend after weekend and several week long trips, takes its toll. I don't use the skinny. It's a manual. I put it in first and it does the rest. Wrong line? hahaha. Whatever you say, man.

Quick Reply: Protecting my underside