Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros and cons of using Axeltech Bolt-It. When operating JK.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Thanks, my questions are more related to the JK specific version which there isn't much info on. I didn't have enough time at EJS to get all my questions answered.
Even if you had the time, the answers aren't available yet. The one thing that I did find out was that the JK doesn't add the width that is required with the larger version.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsharp704
I really want to do a portal set up. I just put in a new pro rock 44 unlimted front in three weeks ago. I am hoping this fall to do a pro rock 60 rear and then portals. I love the ground clearance that you get plus you dont have to put a huge lift on and change steering geomeotry. This is an awesome set up and i cant wait until my wallet will allow the purchase of this set up.

What wheels and tires are going to put on the portal?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

The portals will all be 8 lug.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
A hybrid 44/60 is a 44 center with all 60 outers- end forgings (the 'C'), balljoints, 35 inner spline axles shafts and the D60 based portal system (includes Wilwood brakes). Usually ARBs are used.

We do not make a PR44 rear. The PR44 is a high pinion (reverse cut) system designed for front axle assemblies. Using a high pinion axle in the rear is too weak for a JK application.

Thank you for your reply.
Please be patient I have many more questions.

Size (width) Hybrid ProRock 44/60 front = ProRock 60 rear?

I plan to put your JK on 37 inch wheels.

What Gear Ring in Axles?
What will be locking the wheels or ARB? RUBIKON?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Trac - I am not sure yet, I am leaning towards Spyder lock beadlocks. As for tires i am for sure going to be 40+. Still to early to tell on the details but i am for sure going to be looking into the portals. Something outside of the box on the JK. Plus the added ground clearance is amazing.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dynatrac - When i said Hybrid set up i meant run my PR 44 unlimited in the front with a PR60 rear set up. ? is will the PR44 front that i have now going to be strong enough to support the portals with 40+ tires. Its my understanding that the portals take a lot of strain off of the axles. Is that true?

Also can you PM a price for a complete PR 60 Rear complete with ARB, 35 spline shafts and gears. I priced them out a while ago, just curious what the new prices look like.

By the way, your PR 44 is a great axle. I have nothing but praise on the craftsmanship of that beautiful piece of art in the front end of our jeep.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by bsharp704
Dynatrac - When i said Hybrid set up i meant run my PR 44 unlimited in the front with a PR60 rear set up. ? is will the PR44 front that i have now going to be strong enough to support the portals with 40+ tires. Its my understanding that the portals take a lot of strain off of the axles. Is that true?

Also can you PM a price for a complete PR 60 Rear complete with ARB, 35 spline shafts and gears. I priced them out a while ago, just curious what the new prices look like.

By the way, your PR 44 is a great axle. I have nothing but praise on the craftsmanship of that beautiful piece of art in the front end of our jeep.
Thanks for the great feedback!! We take pride in building products that our customers value.

Without major work to your existing front axle, you'll need to wait for the JK specific version from AIM. I don't know if the new portal system can support 40's. I don't have any concerns about our parts but I don't know what AIM has as a tire size limitation for the portal box itself. The current version we're building (which will easily handle 40's) is designed to work with Dana 60 end forgings, not the JK end forging you're using now.

PM coming your way.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

bsharp704-In Europe, the portals offer here (see photo).
killeraxles.com/html/bolt_on_portals.html
Price on request (email address). I wrote in the $ 18.640 set without Axel. Maybe it's the price for Russian crazy?
Try to write interesting that the price will tell you.
I've heard that in Australia and portals, but where I do not know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Portal.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	166795  

Last edited by Trac; 06-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Trac
Thank you for your reply.
Please be patient I have many more questions.

Size (width) Hybrid ProRock 44/60 front = ProRock 60 rear?

I plan to put your JK on 37 inch wheels.

What Gear Ring in Axles?
What will be locking the wheels or ARB? RUBIKON?
A JK 60 front (or 44/60 hybrid front) is 68.5". The current portal boxes add prox 4" each side. Most of this can be re-gained by getting a wheel with the proper backspacing. We usually use ARB lockers in this configuration.

The current gearing in JK PR44 can only go as high as 4.10. This makes a final drive ratio of 6.10-1.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Trac
bsharp704-In Europe, the portals offer here (see photo).
killeraxles.com/html/bolt_on_portals.html
Price on request (email address). I wrote in the $ 18.640 set without Axel. Maybe it's the price for Russian crazy?
Try to write interesting that the price will tell you.
I've heard that in Australia and portals, but where I do not know.
I'm sure the pricing you see is for just the portal boxes, not the entire axle assembies.