Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros and cons of using Axeltech Bolt-It. When operating JK.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of using Axeltech Bolt-It. When operating JK.

I'm new to the construction of JK, I want to know the different opinions on this topic.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am a newbie and forum and I find it hard to understand the issue raised by me are not interested? Or topic was actively discussed earlier in the forum? Or modification of your car using Axeltech Bolt-It excludes the car in the competition (and therefore not interesting)?
Vendors claim that Axeltech Bolt-It car gets a fantastic performance.

("Bolt On Portals" portals to the existing axes are grown. They are so designed that the rotation of the axes is maintained. This is achieved through the use of 4 gears in the portal.

Another advantage of the 4 gears is that the load is distributed over the flanks of several gears.

This allows a higher power is transferred and the temperature evolution is much lower.

A translation of our bolt-on-web "of 1.6 to 1 is equivalent to an approximately 60% reduction of the load comes on the axes. It could be a 60% gain equal share of the axis.

The Achsgesamtübersetzung changes course by a factor of 1.6. This makes it possible to drive large wheels without addition the translation of the differentials to approximate.

The portals give the vehicle a "lift " of about 5 inches (12.5 cm). To drive larger wheels on all gear needs no further changes possible. The entire axle and steering geometry remains. This is also the only Bodylift actually brings a real ground clearance with it. The extra ground clearance under the differential is 12.5 cm.

To be driven to achieve this clearance with normal wheels, the axles would need 25 cm larger than the one you go with portal axles.

That would mean 25 cm larger wheels for most axes to certain death does not mention maneigentlich, not to mention the costly changes that are necessary to mount such large wheels.)

What problems await?
What details need to be changed in the car?

I have many questions.
I would like to get answers.
Best wishes ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	213.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	165926  
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Trac
I am a newbie and forum and I find it hard to understand the issue raised by me a...
I have many questions.
Best wishes ....
Welcome to the forum. I've been around here for well over four years and have never heard of AxleTech. That may be why you're not getting a response: Maybe no one else knows anything either. Try asking a different question, such as about tires or lifts or safari tops or such and I'm sure you'll find your question is warmly received and quickly answered.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The portal option does look pretty sick. I would have to assume that it's wicked expensive, and as such I haven't even done any research on them.

But here's a current build by one of the sponsor's here that's going to be using portals. It's a killer project.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Door-JK-Truck
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trac
I am a newbie and forum and I find it hard to understand the issue raised by me are not interested? Or topic was actively discussed earlier in the forum? Or modification of your car using Axeltech Bolt-It excludes the car in the competition (and therefore not interesting)?
Vendors claim that Axeltech Bolt-It car gets a fantastic performance.

("Bolt On Portals" portals to the existing axes are grown. They are so designed that the rotation of the axes is maintained. This is achieved through the use of 4 gears in the portal.

Another advantage of the 4 gears is that the load is distributed over the flanks of several gears.

This allows a higher power is transferred and the temperature evolution is much lower.

A translation of our bolt-on-web "of 1.6 to 1 is equivalent to an approximately 60% reduction of the load comes on the axes. It could be a 60% gain equal share of the axis.

The Achsgesamtübersetzung changes course by a factor of 1.6. This makes it possible to drive large wheels without addition the translation of the differentials to approximate.

The portals give the vehicle a "lift " of about 5 inches (12.5 cm). To drive larger wheels on all gear needs no further changes possible. The entire axle and steering geometry remains. This is also the only Bodylift actually brings a real ground clearance with it. The extra ground clearance under the differential is 12.5 cm.

To be driven to achieve this clearance with normal wheels, the axles would need 25 cm larger than the one you go with portal axles.

That would mean 25 cm larger wheels for most axes to certain death does not mention maneigentlich, not to mention the costly changes that are necessary to mount such large wheels.)

What problems await?
What details need to be changed in the car?

I have many questions.
Best wishes ....
Welcome to the forum. Been wondering about something like this for a long time as well. Would be interested in the price for this and hearing the downside (positives are well stated in your post - thanks!).

By the way, based on the technical nature of your posts and questions, you may get more informative feedback if you move this thread to the fabrication and build section of the forum.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

1. the extra stress on upper and lower ball joint
2. daily driver vs dedicated trail rig
3. ground clearence increases
4. cost of build
5. axle strength

hub gear reduction has been around for many years and has proven its self. The Hummer H1 uses a geared hub, enough said.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bahadden
1. the extra stress on upper and lower ball joint
2. daily driver vs dedicated trail rig
3. ground clearence increases
4. cost of build
5. axle strength

hub gear reduction has been around for many years and has proven its self. The Hummer H1 uses a geared hub, enough said.
Must add a ton of weight to the vehicle and isuspectthe JK 3.8 and stock driveline couldn't handle the setup so you'd basically have to rebuild the entire rig from the ground up.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lopezv123
Must add a ton of weight to the vehicle and isuspectthe JK 3.8 and stock driveline couldn't handle the setup so you'd basically have to rebuild the entire rig from the ground up.
not rig just the axles, its like putting a transfer case on each wheel
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At $6500 a set (4 wheels, just the portal kit) and there is no Dana 44 model (yet), that means either a junkyard conversion, new aftermarket Dana 60's (or other supported axle) and hack it, or a custom build. Easy $10,000 to maybe $15,000+. Compare that to the ~$13,000 for a set of Overkill's Atomic Axles ready-made for the JK.

You do get stout axles, reduced gearing, 4" lift (including pumpkin), empty wallet (assuming you like it that way).

Either option is not in my league unless I win a very big lottery.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AxleTech International (AIM) is working on a JK portal system. It is designed to attach to your factory end forgings (the 'C'). They showed composite samples of it at EJS.

We've offered the larger version for some time now and have sold a few pairs of complete assemblies. These are a very cool idea but they are not for everyone. They are not designed for a street driven rig and we're not sure exactly how the new JK version will end up. We know that they won't be adding the extra width the larger version requires. The current larger version doesn't support ESP or ABS.

Last edited by Dynatrac; 05-30-2011 at 07:39 AM.