Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros & Cons of a Long Arm & Short Arm

Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros & Cons of a Long Arm & Short Arm

ok, so i have searched high and low and really can t get a definate answer or for that matter the same answer from anyone.

i have the skyjacker 4" lift kit. i am in need of control arms. i have the teraflex track bars and really like them and was going to get the control arms to match. but after talking to skyjacker rep last night at my clubs open house i am really thinging about going to a long arm setup.

i found out i can get the component kit from skyjacker for the arms and bracketry for there long arm kits. it is part # JK46LA-SX. i can get it for about $1200 to $1300 and this would only be a little more than a set of stock like control arms.

my question is what are some of the benefits of both lengths? what are some of the negatives? this is a daily driver and it does get wheeled hard when i go. once i get more armor and the lift and tires the way i want it i will do black and attempt some red trails.

i just don t want to waste my money and get the long arm kit and not like it, and vice versa, i don t want the short arms and then go get long arms later on. please help!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found some info on AEV and the long arm kit.

Pulled from AEV's Forum area at http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=221

05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
AEV Jim Nth Engineer

Sorry for the delay (both on the suspensions and this reply!). The JK lifts are still coming along nicely, but they've been delayed a bit by suppliers (shocks as Dave mentioned). We are working on 4-door applications only for the moment (2-door will follow later this summer sometime). The 3" system will be ready next month (June) and the 4" system will follow soon thereafter. As Dave mentioned, these are very nice all-around systems that are especially nice on-road...better than we'd even hoped for to be honest. These 'simple looking' systems will deliver much more performance than meets the eye (it's about tuning as much or more than design)...so they will run with anything out there for off-road use too - and for a fraction of the cost of a longarm system.

To answer kntr's question: No...we have no plans for a longarm JK system...the JK simply doesn't need it to achieve all of the performance objectives we have in mind. That doesn't mean that the systems we're about to release are 'it'...we have some other tricks up our sleeves and in R&D ...we'll just be doing it without 'long' arms that (on a JK) won't gain you anything.

-Jim

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of a Long Arm & Short Arm