Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros & cons with lift & larger tires

Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pros & cons with lift & larger tires

Other than looking really cool, do the pros of adding a lift and larger tires outweigh any cons of keeping it stock. What are advantages of larger wheels & lift. I can see that there will be a tiny increase in undercarriage height off the ground which could help in clearing obstacles and water fording. For those of you with lots of off roading experience, is a lifted jeep really more capable than a stock one, all other things being equal? I assume there are more negatives with a lift for normal city & highway driving compared to stock.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The first few paragraphs of Dirtman's thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jedg
The first few paragraphs of Dirtman's thread... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Wow. Thanks. Lots of good info there. One reason I ask is because I'm an engineer. I know engineers have budget constraints but they generally will be trying to make the proper design when it come to suspension, etc. I try to keep most of my stuff close to stock. There are exceptions. For example, I know my Harley has some horses held back do to the need for emissions control, so I throw on aftermarket exhaust, intake, and tuner to get more out of it. In that case, it improves over stock in every way except emissions and noise.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 03-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

you bet!..
Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Wow. Thanks. Lots of good info there. One reason I ask is because I'm an engineer. I know engineers have budget constraints but they generally will be trying to make the proper design when it come to suspension, etc. I try to keep most of my stuff close to stock. There are exceptions. For example, I know my Harley has some horses held back do to the need for emissions control, so I throw on aftermarket exhaust, intake, and tuner to get more out of it. In that case, it improves over stock in every way except emissions and noise.
slap a cam in the Harley and really wake it up and run cooler at the same time. If you have a TTS or similar tuner find a tech who knows how to really tune it and you will be even more amazed at how smooth your Harley can be.

I think if you are just going to run on dirt roads then stock is great if you are going to actually use 4L then taller tires which need a lift are required. I did the rubicon trail last august and I was glad I had 35's and a 2.5" lift. Going to do dusy ershim this august and again I know I will be glad I have 35's and maybe even 37's.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I think I said this in my write up but tires, gearing, & lockers is where you gain performance in wheeling along with driver experience on how to drive off road. Lifts are necessary for tire fitment and do very little in making a jeep more capable off road unless you are doing a major re-engineering, bolt ons are not going to cut it. Trimming the front and rear overhangs, raising the lower link mounts, pushing the axles out, stubby bumpers, delete the tire carrier all help off road way more then just lifting the jeep to get better approach and decline angles.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree with dirtman, but here is another big consideration.

Larger tires, and lifts tend to make vehicles less stable on the highway. You may find that if you do too much lifting, you will end up with a "trailer queen".

Note, I am new to JKs, but I have been driving offroad for nearly 40 years.

Last edited by 16FW; 03-30-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Larger, wider, and heavier tires will typically compensate for highway stability issues on he JK up to a point. When you get 4"+ of lift is where the extra width can't keep up with the instability the increase in lift height causes. Geometry starts to suffer pretty bad at these heights as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

2.5" with flat fenders works well for 35-37's.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Maybe another way to ask: If I went out wheeling with my stock JKU with 3.73 gears and duratrac tires and you went out with your lifted JKU with bigger tires and appropriate gearing for that size tire - where would you be able to go that I would not be able to go? Where would I get stuck and you not get stuck? Are there things I would be able to do better in my stock jeep?

I recall a few years ago someone posted old black & white video of a Model T type vehicle with skinny wheels doing amazing stuff in deep mud.

Quick Reply: Pros & cons with lift & larger tires