Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

prorock 44 and tires

Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prorock 44 and tires

What's the biggest tire you can run with no problems if I switch my d30 in front and run a regular d44 in the rear ? How much does tge axle cost with install ?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybrown
What's the biggest tire you can run with no problems if I switch my d30 in front and run a regular d44 in the rear ?
There is no clear answer. We're comfortable with 37's on a PR44 (with RCVs) and an aggressive driver but we start seeing failures with larger tires. If you're less aggressive a larger tire may work but you just never know. While you may not see axle failure with larger tires, the JK unit bearings and ball joints aren't happy with larger tires and fail more frequently.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the biggest tire you can run with no problems if I switch my d30 in front and run a regular d44 in the rear ? How much does tge axle cost with install ?
Can run 37-38 without issue, but you are going to want to mess with the back at the same time anyway. If you are going to run big tires you are going to need to regear the back end. While everything is apart you might as well add an arb locker in the back and moly shafts.

For an installed pr44 you are probably looking at $4500 by the time you add the goodies on it. For the rear upgrades you are looking at another 800 for the shafts, 850 for the locker, and say 300 for the gears with say 400 in labor to fix up the back end. To me though if i was going to spend all that i would probably just save a bit more and toss in a trail 60 in the back.

If you wanted to go cheaper and doing just to be ok with larger tires you can save say a thousand or slightly more on the front and only spend to regear in the back.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

As Dynatrac said, It really depends on the driver, With a front prorock44 and your rear JK 44. 37's should be ok.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

As long as you are not a gear head and think my Jeep is a race car or you like to hammer the shit out of it just to get up the obstacle that pride says use a winch, yes you will be fine.

Quick Reply: prorock 44 and tires