Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Prorock 44 pinion angle?

Old 05-05-2019, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by allcarfan
The loud hum (no vibration) actually started when i had the adams driveshaft installed. That was when i was on a d30. Wheels, tires, bearings, and front axle were all changed....still get the hum.
That would pretty much eliminate the axle being the issue, unless they somehow exactly mirrored the previous setup exactly. I'd be looking at transfer case related issues, or even something further back that is transferring the hum through the driveline.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. Took jeep to a hot rod shop ive used in the past. They measured pinion angle and caster on their level, drive on lift. Pinion angle...6-7. Caster 12/13.

Adjusted upper control arms and brought pinion angle down to 2 and caster to 8.

Eliminated every clunk, hum, and grind immediately.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Good to hear. I haven't touched my caster in a few years, but if I remember right, 8* is what I'm set at also.

I still need to get out to pick up another angle finder, though. Still want to compare the finder numbers to the last printout to see how close the various spots are to actual.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah....im still trying to get the shop to get me the printout. I know they are busy, but cmon. Ive spent over $15k with them over the past 3 years.

I texted the owner with how i solved my own problem and the only response i got was a thumbs up emoji.

Live and learn.

Jeep feels like a completely different vehicle now
Old 05-11-2019, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I thought I told you that you had too much caster.
The following users liked this post:
jadmt (05-11-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I thought I told you that you had too much caster.

You did, and i appreciate that. It was my assumption also. I just needed some good, level ground to see how much was too much
Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Dirtman may remember the exact source, but it was either Currie or Synergy that had a piece on best caster with larger tires being 4.5 degrees. They gave more than 5 degrees a serious thumbs down, claiming high caster a source of death wobble and turning radius issues.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
Dirtman may remember the exact source, but it was either Currie or Synergy that had a piece on best caster with larger tires being 4.5 degrees. They gave more than 5 degrees a serious thumbs down, claiming high caster a source of death wobble and turning radius issues.
Even on an aftermarket axle with caster built in?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66

" Dynatrac is currently manufacturing the ProRock 44 Unlimited edition axle which includes more caster. These axles have 10 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster axis. They are configured for a nominal 7 degrees caster and 3 degrees pinion angle. The axle can be adjusted using the control arms between 6-8 degrees caster and 2-4 degrees at the pinion. "

Dropping to 4* caster would put the pinion at 6 degrees

https://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/P...20FAQ_revK.pdf

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-12-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by allcarfan
Even on an aftermarket axle with caster built in?
Yes. 4.5 - 5 degrees will give you 5 degrees on the pinion, which should be nearly dead on with a 3-4" lift.

Quick Reply: Prorock 44 pinion angle?