Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PROR skid plates??

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROR skid plates??

Anybody have a link to who makes the engine skids that have PROR cut out of them, I've searched the web and have been coming up empty and I can't remember the name of them.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

The River Raider tranny skid has RROR cut into the side plate. Is that what you're referring to?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

That looks like it... Explains why PROR yielded few results lol, doh, thanks a million, any driveshaft clearance issues with this one?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

No clearance issues with the skid, but you will slice the boot the first time you disconnect because it hits the pan itself. I've gone through 2 factory shafts already, not going to waste a 3rd. Put in a coast over this weekend.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Yep I've already slice mine and spitting grease from cv at tcase... Ordering coast today, they are on sale at Northridge for 425 currently
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default what?

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
No clearance issues with the skid, but you will slice the boot the first time you disconnect because it hits the pan itself. I've gone through 2 factory shafts already, not going to waste a 3rd. Put in a coast over this weekend.
I have been looking at the RROR skids and was just about done with the decision to get them. Can you explain what was cut and how I can prepare to avoid it?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tjchtc913
I have been looking at the RROR skids and was just about done with the decision to get them. Can you explain what was cut and how I can prepare to avoid it?
For those with an auto, the boot that is in the middle of your front driveshaft will be torn on the tranny pan or on your stock skid when you disconnect your front axle and have about 2.5" or more of lift. No way to avoid it unless you replace your ds with an aftermarket first since they are more narrow and won't make contact with the pan. Not the end of the world though if you slice the front - you can get a few months of driving without worry. Mine was torn since beginning of April and just replaced it now. The rear is one that you don't want to wait to replace. You'll lose grease and eventually seize the shaft and have more problems.

Note on the River Raiders though - you may have to trim or cut a bit of their tranny skid. The plate can flex just enough to make the outer 'lips' contact the base of the pan and notch it out a bit. You can see in the photo below. Wasn't too excited when I saw this, but a set of torches made quick work of that.

Quick Reply: PROR skid plates??