Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Proposed Rough Country 2.5" lift and 1.5" Wheel spacers

Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed Rough Country 2.5" lift and 1.5" Wheel spacers

I have ordered the 2.5" basic boost kit from Rough Country for $139. They also offered the 1.5" wheel spacers for $60 a pair. I am going to install them next week on my 2008 JK Rubicon.

Does anyone have any issues with the RC 2.5" lift? Any recommendations for the install?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A spacer is a spacer, you won't have any issues with it. For the install, check the Write-Ups area, there is one for this lift. You should also look through the Do It Yourself Alignment write-up. (you may not need to do any of it, but it's good info regardless)

Do you plan on adding the 2.2 shocks at some point? If not, you may want to think about adding front bumpstops. (they go inside the front coils, so it's a bit more efficient to add them while those coils are out...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-15-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A spacer is a spacer, you won't have any issues with it. For the install, check the Write-Ups area, there is one for this lift. You should also look through the Do It Yourself Alignment write-up. (you may not need to do any of it, but it's good info regardless)

Do you plan on adding the 2.2 shocks at some point? If not, you may want to think about adding front bumpstops. (they go inside the front coils, so it's a bit more efficient to add them while those coils are out...)
Thanks, yes I did check the self alignment and have it already printed off if I need it. I'm looking forward to the boost.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Does anyone have pics of those RC hub centric spacers?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssg381
Does anyone have pics of those RC hub centric spacers?
Ok boys all I needed was some advice on the kit. I now have the lift kit and spacers. I'll take some photo's and put them up when I can. Internet access is sketchy. The spacers ARE hubcentric and appear really well made.

The lift kit is solid steel and coated. I am going to do it this Wednesday June the 22nd. I'll aslo do before and after pics.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a few issues with my RC lift - but all was corrected when I contacted them. Haven't had any issues since I installed the new parts. *** I would however buy longer rear sway links and move the rears to the front - or just buy discos for the front. I think this kit levels the jeep, so you may be ok in the rear, but I would def get front links. Quick discos are ~60 through RC.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _J__C_
I had a few issues with my RC lift - but all was corrected when I contacted them. Haven't had any issues since I installed the new parts. *** I would however buy longer rear sway links and move the rears to the front - or just buy discos for the front. I think this kit levels the jeep, so you may be ok in the rear, but I would def get front links. Quick discos are ~60 through RC.
JC - What were the issues you ran into? I'd like to know as I'll keep an eye out for them if they are of concern.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the spacers don't come with loctite, get some and use it. I know the spidertrax come with some.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lift is done

Okay boys, done the lift. It went well and took my buddy and I 3 hours with going slow and making sure everything was tight and clean (sort of). The lift is fairly simple and easily installs. The only thing that isn't explained is where the retainer nut and washer goes on the rear upper shock point. This is pretty self explanitory when your down there looking up going WTF? But then a light goes on.

It was a great idea to loosen the traction bars after she was up on the jack stands. Only problem is that you have to rmember to tighten them up BEFORE you go for a test drive.......

One thing that I did run into is the front sway bar links. They ARE too short. Like Planman elequently stated in his first post on this thread, if you are going to off road it heavily then they are way too short. I am posting pics at the bottom to show you. When we went to put the front end down after we reconnected the sway bar it got jammed on the front steering. I can see how this would invert upon full articulation. I am ordering new adjustable sway bar links for the back and putting the rears on the front. IMO this is a must for this kit. It would have made the install that much easier as well.

I lowered the jeep and the wheel was still centered. Didn't want to screw with that unless I had to after the test drive. It turns out I didn't have to do anythign (yet knock wood) with the steering. I have 100 kilometers on it and so far so good.

I did put the spacers on and it looks 100% better. The wider stance is what I was hoping for. I am posting a pic of those as well.

After all was said and done I took it for a test drive. It made a noise that shouldn't have been there so I pulled back in and tightened the traction bars lol. After that I took it for a spin and all was well with the world. there was no wobble and it tracted straight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	After lift..jpg
Views:	281
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	74101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel spacers..jpg
Views:	254
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	74102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front end (2)..JPG
Views:	678
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	74103  
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I wouldn't drive on those front links. Move the rear sway bar links to the front and ride without a rear sway bar until you get the links. In my opinion. I needed a rear track bar bracket for their 2.5" lift, my rear axle shifted almost an inch over. They did upgrade their spacers, I'm jealous! ( i have the non-hubcentric)
I guess I could do that. IT wouldn't hurt to ride like that and I just won't mud it til then.

There shouldn't be any issues doing that right?

Quick Reply: Proposed Rough Country 2.5" lift and 1.5" Wheel spacers