Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Propane conversion

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propane conversion

I have been trying to come up with a way I can keep my 2010 wrangler unlimited .Because my commute is now 150-200kms a day. The answer propane conversion. Where I live in southern Ontario the filling stations re plentiful. I'm going for a quote tomorrow if the price is right it maybe the first propane Jk.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

pretty sure you cant do newer vehicles do to the computers. I heard that if you could it would cost more than you would ever save.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

I see taco's on the trails out here all the time with propane run engines. They swear by them because they can run their rigs forever and it's super cheap. Different engine though... so who knows how it would work with a JK.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983
pretty sure you cant do newer vehicles do to the computers. I heard that if you could it would cost more than you would ever save.
A stand alone fixes that.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Synthetik
A stand alone fixes that.
whats that
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recall reading in a diesel power mag about a CNG filling station for the home garage. Kind of a neat idea.
Keep in mind, you won't be able to carry enough propane to travel as far as with gas, and mileage is less. You may not be able to have enough fuel on board to get to work and back on a tank.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP1rkyI0OI4

Here it is. Home fuelling.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a liquid propane (LPG) system you'll experience minimal range loss (roughly 10%). On the power side, some people report having slightly more power since LPG is a higher octane. I keep trying to talk some of our propane guys down here into putting the system on and using it for promos. In my case I don't drive nearly enough to justify the cost of the conversion. It sounds like the OP drives enough to see a savings over time. I thought about doing a muffler relocation and mounting the propane tanks in it's place. If you want to go true dedicated, you could obviously remove the entire gas tank.

CNG would be cool as it is easy to obtain for most people. You will see a lot more power loss and range loss with CNG though... especially range. I'm not sure we could get enough tanks on a JKU and still have a decent amount of cargo space left to justify the conversion. This is why CNG is normally used in medium / heavy duty vehicles. Also, from the conversion systems I've seen it would be a higher upfront cost in comparison to propane, plus you still need the home compressor to refill your vehicle over night. I don't recall seeing an in home compressor that is capable of fast fill, however the market is changing constantly right now.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you needed a carbureted engine to do this conversion...

Another advatange to doing this for a trail rig is b/c you don't have to worry about stalling out on a hill b/c all the gas slided to the back of the tank
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I thought you needed a carbureted engine to do this conversion...
Nope. You can do it with fuel injected engines. Most of the conversions no days are on fuel injected engines. Among others, we have several police departments around us who run propane in their cars.

Quick Reply: Propane conversion