Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Progressive Lift Build

Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Progressive Lift Build

I'm installing a leveling kit/budget boost soon (Rock Krawler) but will, at some time in the not too distant future, I will want to go to a full suspension lift.

Doing a full lift would certainly be ideal, but not necessarily feasible when you are on a budget and married.

I've looked at other "kits" like the Rock Krawler Stock Mod (coil springs and front track bar) all the way up to kits with 8 control arms, shocks, etc.

If YOU needed to build your lift little by little, how would YOU do it?

My first thought is to mirror something like the stock mod (coils and front track bar), then adding the rear track bar later.
Next would be maybe shocks, since I might be wearing out the stock ones at that point.
Next would be front lower arms
Next, rear lower arms

What would YOU do if you NEEDED to build your lift a little bit at a time?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I think you already answered your own question.

If you start with the RK Stock Mod, you can add the extra components to make it a RK Flex System, and then you can add the components to make it a RK Max Travel, and then you can add the components to make it a RK X Factor.

A quick look at the pictures for each will show which components to add for each. All you need to decide is whether you want/need them all. Like do you really need all 8 arms for a 2.5" lift?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Given that budget is a constraint, I would let the "deals" do the deciding for you.

Keep an eye on the used bulletin boards on forums. You can find barely used parts of lifts as guys are going bigger.

Also, only buy whatever is on a deep discount sale from the forum vendors.

If you have the time and patience to slowly assemble your lift, you could save a lot.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I think you already answered your own question.

If you start with the RK Stock Mod, you can add the extra components to make it a RK Flex System, and then you can add the components to make it a RK Max Travel, and then you can add the components to make it a RK X Factor.
^^ Agreed. OP - What height lift are you thinking about and what size tires would you ultimately like to run?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what size lift and tires? I personally like adjustable arms and would do those first then the trackbars and such. Shocks you have a choice to make as essentially that controls your flex.

edit: smashboogie beat me to the question!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I run 33" tires now on my 2 door. I'm likely to stay there for a little while until I can afford to swap out my 3.21 gears.

2.5" is probably the most I would consider going at this point. Unless I decide to deal with my exhaust and driveshafts. I don't want to create any unnecessary problems.

I also failed to mention this is my daily driver and my commute is about 25 minutes on the highway each way.

What concerns me about the stock mod is the out of caster affect that using the factory control arms gives me. Sure, I could use geometry correction brackets, but that adds to the initial cost.

I hear you about the deals. I wish I would have been able to do this on black friday or in January when Northridge 4x4 was offering 20% discounts. Not to mention they raised their prices quite a bit after the first of the year. Timing is everything.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor

Will your budget allow you to start with a 2.5" Flex system? We can give you a great deal so pm us if you would like a quote.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I won't be ready to do this until probably late summer or early fall. Things may change by then and I might go for the full lift. I might even consider waiting until winter and take advantage of a black friday deal.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor

When you are ready PM us and we will get you an excellent deal. If you have any questions in the mean time feel free to PM us and we will give you as much guidance as you want or need.

Quick Reply: Progressive Lift Build