Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which programmer will give me the most hp

Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which programmer will give me the most hp

Looking for the best chip or programmer that will give me the best performance power wise?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering this too. How is it Dodge can get 305 HP out of the same engine for the charger and ours is only rated at 285? Is it programming, a chip or is it better internals in the engine?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

A "chip" will adjust your air fuel ratio..A/F and your timing/spark curve etc. With this to add more octane in 93 octane gas, say over 87 etc..

Motor companies, usually use the same short block and add a different head to add big gaining in HP when using the same engine in different vehicles, along with compression. To be honest you are better off using 87(cheap gas)as the gain is not worth the extra cost of monthly fuel and the programmer cost, etc. And these "programmers" are called canned tunes in the tuning world, and usually have to be checked on a dyno, as it's a basic tune for "everyone" not your vehicle specifically.

Usually a re-gear, and/or opening up a free flowing exhaust will bet you the same, overall.

Are you looking for off road power? on road acceleration? What set-up to you currently have?

Last edited by jeep-creep; 01-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

my experience is the SC FLashpaq gives good gains on the 91tune, but 87 felt nothing. After my lift and tires it was dreadfull to drive, after the tune and banks cai it was much more bareable.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep-creep
A "chip" will adjust your air fuel ratio..A/F and your timing/spark curve etc. With this to add more octane in 93 octane gas, say over 87 etc..

Motor companies, usually use the same short block and add a different head to add big gaining in HP when using the same engine in different vehicles, along with compression. To be honest you are better off using 87(cheap gas)as the gain is not worth the extra cost of monthly fuel and the programmer cost, etc. And these "programmers" are called canned tunes in the tuning world, and usually have to be checked on a dyno, as it's a basic tune for "everyone" not your vehicle specifically.

Usually a re-gear, and/or opening up a free flowing exhaust will bet you the same, overall.

Are you looking for off road power? on road acceleration? What set-up to you currently have?
I have a 07 2 dr manual trans with 33 12.5 mud terrains and a airraid cold air intake. I'm just looking for a bit more power, since the lift and tires its a bit sluggish just wanted to smarten it up some!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Programmers/tuners are more about engine efficiency and output. Don't worry about HP stats they advertise; all a bunch of crap.

Chips are a waste of $$$ and not programmable or upgradeable.

Diablosport is the best tuner on the market.

EDIT: I have run the Jet chip, throttle body spacer, Viper TB and Superchip tuner; Diablosport and will never go back.

Last edited by Bubblegoose1; 01-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'm wondering this too. How is it Dodge can get 305 HP out of the same engine for the charger and ours is only rated at 285? Is it programming, a chip or is it better internals in the engine?
Probably has something to do with the bottom end (exhaust headers). I believe that happened to the ram a bit back between years.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best programmer to gain HP? the one comes with the AEV Hemi Swap kit Just don't forget the hemi to go in with it :p

Most programmers won't give a serious increase in HP. Most are used to correct the electronic stability system when changing gears, tires, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joey0480

Probably has something to do with the bottom end (exhaust headers). I believe that happened to the ram a bit back between years.
The pentastar doesn't have headers the exhaust hooks straight to cylinder as i recall i was wondering about that hp number to on why it has 15 more???
Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't a CAI be the first place to start ? Airaid - Product Search

Quick Reply: Which programmer will give me the most hp