Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Programmer comparison...aev, bullydog, superchips

Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer comparison...aev, bullydog, superchips

So to start I have a 2013 jku sport with 35 toyo mt's with stock 3.73 gearing.
So I started almost 2 years ago with the aev procal. I was very happy with what it does. Speedo was accurate, felt more driveable, and could adjust tire pressure.
Last month I decided I wanted to upgrade to a tuner and wanted something to be able to monitor some additional sensors (i.e.trans temp, battery, etc...). So I decided on the bullydog gt for jeep. I liked that it was compact, had different tunes and got it for a decent price at 399.
So, consistent with reviews, install was a pain, had to get new programs downloaded by tech support and eventually got it running. First I had it set to regular octane tune. It felt more sluggish than the procal flash. I drove it for a tank of gas. Mileage dropped 2 mpg to 12 mpg and the current tune won't accept tire pressure changes so I just have to watch the warning light stay on. Drove the next 2 tanks on the premium tune, it felt much better but still averaged 12 mpg.
I'm now exchanging it for the superchips traildash. I don't think it's acceptable to not be able to change the tire pressure so I'm on to the next one.
I will have the trail dash next week so I will update then.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have ran my BD for 2 years now and never had a problem with loading tunes. I wonder if you just had a bad unit? I don't think you will see much difference between canned tunes, were you will start to see differences is custom tunes, which I think BD is going to start doing. Good luck with the others, this will be a good comparison.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is there to gain with the NA engines in our Jeeps, I've tuned my truck and I know alot of my power gains are from timing, but I also push more boost with my tune. Is there much to really gain on these engines?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
How much is there to gain with the NA engines in our Jeeps, I've tuned my truck and I know alot of my power gains are from timing, but I also push more boost with my tune. Is there much to really gain on these engines?
I use a Diabloaport Trinity and it has a lot of shift point flexibility under different throttle positions. Made a huge difference to me
Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

My trinity has made a big differance as well. I have been trying to get a custom tune to work but havnt had any luck yet. Sct has just release a wrangler tunner. Looks like they teamed up with BD.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

I don't know about these specific tuners and how much they claim you can gain, but I know about engines.

Jeeps are naturally aspirated, not much to gain. You can advance the timing which I am sure these tuners do, but it won't be enough to be anything more than marginal gains, these are not high revving engines.

Forced air (turbos and supercharges) there are big gains from flashing/chips because you can increase the air and fuel significantly.

Also a candle that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.

Last edited by spicoli; 12-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I switched to the tuner from the procal mainly for the monitor(as I stated originally). I would like to monitor mainly trans temp as we frequently visit the mountains and on occasion tow a pop-up camper. As an added bonus I may get "marginal" performance gains. Also something I'm looking forward to with the traildash is the ability to add a backup camera and possibly use it to switch off road lighting as well.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are 2 pictures of the bullydog. It's actually smaller than it looks in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141221_171735.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	588516   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141221_171753.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	588517  
Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

As for the problems with the install. I was able to download the initial program and then when I connected to the computer it would never upload. Their tech support had to send a new file and add it to the programmer.
Once I finally got it installed I had some issues getting the fuse tap to correctly power the programmer. This is necessary to have it come on with the ignition. All in all it probably took 4 hours of back and forth downloading and blowing fuses etc...
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you decide to keep the Bullydog?

Quick Reply: Programmer comparison...aev, bullydog, superchips