Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ProComp Xtreme M/T's in snow..

Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ProComp Xtreme M/T's in snow..

Part I of tire review promised to others. ProComp Xtreme M/Ts in Snow..

OK folks, as mentioned in another thread I got caught (actually didn't try to avoid it either) in a nasty snow storm yesterday afternoon. Visibility by the time I headed back home was no more then about 20yrds at best. Did I mention It doesn't bother me driving in snow storms.. Anyway, I trailered my quad and headed off for the last outing before Christmas and also the last day of whitetail season. By the end of the day there was approx 1 1/2 feet of snow on the roads and I still had a 25mi trek home on the unplowed backroads with my 7.5x10 foot trailer w/ quad in tow. Yea Haw!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! So off I go Jeepin' through the snow. 2WD was OK for getting to my destination before there was too much snow, ESP occasionally kicked in as the trailer tried pushing me around, but on the way home in the snow in 4Hi ESP ON, I averaged about 20-30 mph.

Lets break it down: 2WD
2WD in partially snow covered roads, icy spots and Hardpack. Not necessarily a fair test as I was pulling the trailer whos wheelbase is wider then the JK. None the less the tires did better then expected. I also have Trac Lok rear diff which helps in some instances but tends to put you dog track til the ESP kicks in and then straight as she goes.
Straight line off the stop was admirable for 2wd even on slight upward grades.
Stopping was awesome, ABS only kicked in a couple times the whole adventure.
Turning/cornering at speed was great no drift in the corners, but again we are still in 2WD. Compared to other M/Ts I have used in winter (Dunlop Mud Rovers, BFG M/Ts both of which I drifted right off the road with) the Xtremes are much better and corner more like winters or good A/Ts.
Icy slippery roads, little to no snow cover, mind yourself here. Don't try and be a hero, the Xtremes are impressive but, the only really good tire in these conditions are Ice radials and studs which both suck in deep snow.. My suggestion is stay in 2WD and take your time, 4WD will likely get you in more trouble. Ever heard of 4Wheel Drift!
So..Slow down and drive skillfully, be aware of on coming traffic and be prepared to act fast. If you find yourself in these conditions often, consider taking winter defensive driving course. Leave the 4WD for when there is significant amounts of snow on the road.

4WD in the snow, Yea Haww

In snow the Xtremes are the Bomb. I am very happy with them. I motored on through all that snow like nothing and thats pulling a trailer. I can only imagine what it will be like without the trailer. I stopped and started without a spin and the ESP did not kick in once the whole way home. There are some step grades and at one point there is the Mile Hill ( a mile long grade and unplowed at this time). No sweat for these big fellas..
Cornering in 4WD in snow is as good as it gets, no problem there. There was never a feeling of drifting off the road...
To say in a word Yes, I am impressed.. Bring on the snow...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome review on the tires in the snow! I have the tires and have yet to get them in the white stuff! Thanks for the feedback on their performance!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the tread pattern on the KM2, specifically the center tread blocks, I really don't think they will steer well on hardpack snow roads and slippery areas. They should do well in the deeper snow though. I haven't heard of anyone running them in the snow yet to be sure how they perform.. Not too many sizes to choose from in 16" and they are a new design so there aren't too many around here.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Awesome review I have these tires and was alittle nervous how they do in the white stuff. Not that we get alot down here but. These tires are awesome on the rocks and the mud so if they do well in the snow I will be getting these again for sure.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

It's good to know that there are some good snow tires out there. I've had other mud tires that I've tried in the snow (several years ago) but none were really all that good at traction. Nice looking rig also.

Quick Reply: ProComp Xtreme M/T's in snow..