Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ProComp lift, rough ride.. switch to bilsteins?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProComp lift, rough ride.. switch to bilsteins?

As the subject says, I bought a 4" lift from 4wp (a procomp lift) and the ride is pretty rough. Even the smallest bumps can feel like a large void at times. How can I dampen the ride? I've considered swapping out my current pro comp shocks for bilsteins, but will that improve the ride quality? or is it the springs that I need to replace? or both?!

Lastly, is it difficult to change the shocks yourself on a JKU? I tried to do a strut on an 03 corolla last weekend and that spring went cooking across the road! haha, will I need a spring compressor again? If so, i'm sticking it out with the rough ride.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Shocks are really easy to change, especially the rears. 30 minute job at most.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats good to hear! Do you think changing the shocks will make the ride smoother? Bilsteins the way to go?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider changing the coils as well... U can call offroad evolution, and they will hook you up with there plush ride 4" coils. To go along with your bilstein's.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

Originally Posted by delsol5
Thats good to hear! Do you think changing the shocks will make the ride smoother? Bilsteins the way to go?
Remember that a monotube shock offers a firm, responsive ride. It may not be "smoother" but the bump will be absorbed quick.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

What do you have for tires / what air pressure do you set them at?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the stock rubicon tires for now, at 32psi I believe. They're the rims and tires from a mountain edition. I suppose I could air down. In time I need/want to move to 35-37's but need to save for gears (11' auto).

Coil overs and bilsteins, how much am I looking at in total cost? I'm totally capable of doing the labor myself, I enjoy it. I just haven't done much with suspension before. The jarring at times is miserable, yet I maintain a smile and tell my girlfriend its the perfect lift. Haha.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't know anything about procomp's coils but I can tell you that I have a Trailmaster 4.5" kit. It came with their basic entry level shock. More than likely it is very similar to what came with your kit.
The ride wasn't horrible...but I knew it had to get better. I finally swapped out the shocks for a set of Bilstein 5100s. The difference is like night and day. Small bumps like expansion joints and heaves in the road that I used to cringe with are almost invisible. My only regret was that I put almost 40K on my set of shocks that came with the kit and didn't do it sooner.

I'm not knocking the entry level shocks that come with kits, they do their job. You just can't compare the technology of that shock with a higher level one.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

BoneDoc, that's really the answer I was hoping for. Shocks are reasonably priced and a DIY, the last thing I want to do is basically buy another lift.

By the way, are you in orthopedics? If so, I also work in the Ortho field, Arthrex.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try replacing the shocks first, maybe you won't have to replace the springs.

However, I'd go for shocks that can be re-valved.
This allows tweaking the up and/or down shock resistance, and fitting it to specific springs.

Also, if replacing the shocks wouldn't 'do it', you'll replace the springs -- in which case you'll already have the new shocks, and re-valve them for the new springs.

Quick Reply: ProComp lift, rough ride.. switch to bilsteins?