Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with suspension and death wobble

Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you kjeeper, you beat me to it.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Other than "death wobble" in the title, you haven't described your symptoms in detail. Please do that. It may help.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

The DL is flipped
Ahh ok not all the pics would pull up
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are the symptoms. Once I reach 40-45 mph it develops a shimmy. Sometimes I can push it past it but if I hit a bump or a defect on the road it goes into a death wobble. It stops as soon as I stop the vehicle. I resume again but it will happen shortly after that. I do believe the shimmy started after we did the budget lift, but at that time I had bad tie rods ends and ball joints so it was hard to tell who was the culprit.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are your tires feathered from running a bad alignment or resulting from the bad ball joints and rod ends? Have you rotated the tires?

Did you inspect everything in one sitting, to did you replace parts piecemeal?

What about the front upper axle side control arm bushings?

Are all rubber bushings in a neutral position (were bolts loosened for the installs and only retorqued after the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground at the new ride height)?

I didn't catch it, but are you running stock control arms?

What about the unit bearings?

These wouldn't cause the shimmy, but:

Are you running shocks, swaybar links, and brakelines long enough for a 5.25" lift?

Do you have a raised rear trackbar bracket and rear adjustable trackbar appropriate for a 5.25" lift?

Have you cut and relocated the rear lower coil perches to prevent rear coil spring bowing?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
Are your tires feathered from running a bad alignment or resulting from the bad ball joints and rod ends? Have you rotated the tires? Did you inspect everything in one sitting, to did you replace parts piecemeal? What about the front upper axle side control arm bushings? Are all rubber bushings in a neutral position (were bolts loosened for the installs and only retorqued after the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground at the new ride height)? I didn't catch it, but are you running stock control arms? What about the unit bearings? These wouldn't cause the shimmy, but: Are you running shocks, swaybar links, and brakelines long enough for a 5.25" lift? Do you have a raised rear trackbar bracket and rear adjustable trackbar appropriate for a 5.25" lift? Have you cut and relocated the rear lower coil perches to prevent rear coil spring bowing?
I think you just gave the guy a heart attack lol
Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
I think you just gave the guy a heart attack lol
Hopefully not ;-)

Also, looked at the pics.

The bend in the tie rod is to be able to clear the differential cover on a full lock turn instead of for ground clearance. The tie rod needs to be indexed forward and then retightened after a quick alignment toe-in check.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh yeah you did! Im trying to process the information, lol!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

My jeep's DW was fixed by changing to poly ball joints and also putting a new FOX stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Problems with suspension and death wobble