Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems mounting EVO rear D-ring mounts and bumper fascia

Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Fam
I didn't have to hammer it to re shape anything I just needed to make the fascia sit farther down on the frame rails. Rubber hammer would be all that was needed in my case. Have you tried holding the d ring up to the fascia (outside of the frame rails) and making sure they will line up?
I did not line them up with the fascia only, I will give that a look. Good thought...
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Well, after grinding and drilling out holes I finally have been able to get 3 of the 4 big bolts in. I did get the 4th and final one through, but now I can't get it to thread into the flag nut. The one on the passenger side went in easy, but I've spent 20 minutes or more on the drivers side.

What a royal pain. I didn't have this much trouble installing my old bumpers made by smittybilt - and trust me, those were a nightmare!

Headed to Home Depot to try and buy another bolt, hoping that will thread into the flag and I don't have to take the whole thing apart to pull the nut out and replace it.

I did test fit the bolts and nuts before I put them in and everything threaded fine.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
Well, after grinding and drilling out holes I finally have been able to get 3 of the 4 big bolts in. I did get the 4th and final one through, but now I can't get it to thread into the flag nut. The one on the passenger side went in easy, but I've spent 20 minutes or more on the drivers side. What a royal pain. I didn't have this much trouble installing my old bumpers made by smittybilt - and trust me, those were a nightmare! Headed to Home Depot to try and buy another bolt, hoping that will thread into the flag and I don't have to take the whole thing apart to pull the nut out and replace it. I did test fit the bolts and nuts before I put them in and everything threaded fine.
I used a screwdriver to hold the nut against the hole and threaded it in that way. I pried open the space on the back side of the frame to squeeze my skinny fingers in there to position it. It is a royal pain and I rigged up several tools wedged against parts of the jeep to keep pressure on that nut. The easiest way would be to cut an access hole or something in the crossmember to fit your fingers in. You will like it when you are done though!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

I got them on. After 3 trips to Home Depot for parts and tools to grind....then some anger with a 10lb rubber hammer...then a breaker bar to get the cross threaded bolt to go through...I'm exhausted..

This will probably be the last EVO product I buy.

The response from Evo when I sent them the pics that I posted here was basically (not word for word, this is a shortened version), "I have never seen this before, you don't have to use the plates since you are using the fascia."

Really? I don't know, maybe I am overreacting, but seriously - this was more difficult to get on than anything smittybilt I have ever bought. I expected so much more.

Just to clear the air - I am fairly mechanical. I have installed lifts, shocks, F&R axle shafts, diff covers, skids, multiple bumpers and tire carriers, wired lighting, mounted my own beadlocks, etc. All bolt on applications like this should have been. I don't feel like this was an issue with me or a lack of equipment or skill. Just saying...

There were other issues with my order as well, but $hit happens, they took care of it. It just was not a good experience over all.

Good luck to anyone who goes this route. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed mine a while a ago. It lined up and the only thing I had to do was use a BFH to persuade the passenger side to go into the frame. It is unfortunate of your experience.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problems putting mine in, sorry to hear you had issues, I like the product

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Problems mounting EVO rear D-ring mounts and bumper fascia