Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with LOD and WARN PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with LOD and WARN PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch

I just got my LOD shorty front bumper with hoop installed and my Warn PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB winch . I spooled off my cable to make it easier to bolt it down to the bumper. I installed the warn roller fairlead but when I spooled my cable back on the winch when the cable got to the driver side of the drum and started to come back the other way the cable would jump over about 3" before it would start spooling right tried 4 or 5 times and got the same thing and it did this every time I spooled up the cable and only on the driver side. I would have to stop the winch and move the cable over my hand for the first 3" then it would spool fine. What it looks like is the hole in the LOD bumper is not centered on the winch drum so it pulls the cable back over that 3" before it starts to spool right. I'm just wanting to see if any one else is having this problem. To me the Warn PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB winch just dont look like it fits in the bumper right you can not even get the cover on it.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah, unfortunately, that is a problem with the lod bumper. the only way you could fix that is to move the fairlead hole more over to the driver side but by doing that, it will be considerably off center and that bugged people. so, lod compromised and placed the hole just off of center but not so much that it was really noticable.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi

Does the LoD bumper have the same spooling issues with non-powerplant winches?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure on that but I think you can move the winch over more to make it line up Mskh20
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the mounting holes on the winch plate are slotted so you can move it over a bit more if you don't have a powerplant.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks guys. I have the under the hood ARB (thanks to WOL's write up) so i wont be getting a powerplant. The LoD midwidth is on my shortlist.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Great Thread. I too was looking at the midwidth with the M8000. So if anyone can shed some light on possible spooling issues with that combination, it would help in my final decision of front bumper choice.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Along with the slotted winch mouting holes, you need to remember that the bumper mounting holes are also slotted, so you might have the bumper off to one side also.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

I'll have to check my bumper but I know I measured from the rails to the end of the bumper and made them the same on each side.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was respooling mine last night and it is a huge PITA! I used the hanle of a hammer and pushed the cable over just so u can spool the end and it's still messed up.... I wonder if synthetic line would make it easier... Anyone with synthetic out there with the LoD and PP?

Quick Reply: Problems with LOD and WARN PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch