Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with Driveshaft install... HELP

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Driveshaft install... HELP

So I just got done installing a new JE reel CV rear drive shaft with the two new yokes and upper rear adjustable control arms in my door X today. Everything seems to go pretty smoothly, except for now I've got some problems...

First, there is a buzzing, or whirring noise (?) coming from the new shaft I think. It's at all speeds and about the same loudness, just faster when i go faster. Any ideas? Now I still need to tweak the pinion angle as its not quite parallel with the shaft yet (but a lot better then stock), could this be causing the noise somehow?

And second, whenever i go over an sizable bump on the road now i get a big thud noise from the rear axle, almost like its shifting. I never had this before and I want to say its because of the control arms, but I can see how or whats going on.

If anyone has any ideas on stuff to check or do I'd really appreciate it cause I'm supposed to be heading up to Tellico with my dad next weekend and I gotta get this fixed!! I'll be gone the whole day today, so please just keep posting ideas and I'll try anything and everything tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

first and foremost, get your pinion in line with the driveline and that will most likely get rid of the buzzing. regarding the thud, check the rear track bar bolt at the frame mount to see if it is coming in contact with the bump stop extension on the passenger side. also, if you have a track bar drop bracket, check to see if it might be making contact with the shock shaft.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks WOL, I'll be sure to check that stuff out first thing in the morning. Just got back from one heck of a Gators game, so it's time to call it a night!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alrighty, so I slid under the jeep this morning to look around again, and sure enough, WOL was right about the rear track bar drop bracket hitting my bump stop extension! So, i'll just have to trim that stop a little so the relocation bolt will clear it.

My only problem now is still a buzzing or whining type noise... It doesn't seem to show up until after the first minute or two of driving, and then its a constant. I looked at the rear pinion dust cover that fits over the yoke and its loose (unlike when it was on the stock yoke). Could this be spinning and causing the noise? I'm going to go put some JB weld on it and see if that fixes it, but otherwise, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again WOL for the help!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the rear shaft, but I have the JE Reel front driveshaft and you don't need to use the stock dust rings when you replace the yokes with the ones Jim Reel provides.

I installed them at first but noticed as well that they were loose. They made noise. So I called Jim Reel and he confirmed for me that the new yokes were machined to a size that meant those stock round tinny dust covers (which will be loose if you install them on his yokes) are not required.

Just a thought for you before you bust out the JB Weld.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isuadam
I'm not sure about the rear shaft, but I have the JE Reel front driveshaft and you don't need to use the stock dust rings when you replace the yokes with the ones Jim Reel provides.

I installed them at first but noticed as well that they were loose. They made noise. So I called Jim Reel and he confirmed for me that the new yokes were machined to a size that meant those stock round tinny dust covers (which will be loose if you install them on his yokes) are not required.

Just a thought for you before you bust out the JB Weld.
That's something I definitely didn't know... Thanks for the info, but a hair late as I'm just waiting for the JB weld to dry now. Either way though, the dust thing shouldn't hurt anything, right?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same problem when I installed my rear shaft from 'Reel - it just sits there and spins causing an awful racket. Jim assured me that the dust cover is not needed. 5k miles later, everything is still fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate the info everyone and I've finally got everything under control.

As ya'll said, the noise was definitely made by the dust cover, so I JB welded it to the yoke and its just fine now. I just dont like the idea of stuff getting stuck by that seal and all, so this is working until I can tac it in a couple spots later on.

As for the thunking I felt, WOL was right and it was the bump stop on the passender side catching on the track bar drop bracket bolt.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Time to hit Tellico now!

Quick Reply: Problems with Driveshaft install... HELP