Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems centering steering wheel

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems centering steering wheel

I installed a synergy drag link and flipped it to the top of the knuckle, replaced the drop pitman arm with a factory one, now when I try to center the steering wheel it's as if there's not enough adjustment to make it small enough, I'm all the way in and it's still to big, does this seem right? 4 inch lift
Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joentuff
I installed a synergy drag link and flipped it to the top of the knuckle, replaced the drop pitman arm with a factory one, now when I try to center the steering wheel it's as if there's not enough adjustment to make it small enough, I'm all the way in and it's still to big, does this seem right? 4 inch lift
How far is the Tie Rod end on the pitman side threaded in? I have a 3.5 lift & it worked well for me.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

They are both all the way in, is there an adjustment on the steering box? Maybe the previous owner adjusted that ?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found this on another forum maybe it will help.

"STEERING GEAR

NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perform adjustments.

OVER-CENTER

1. Rotate the stub shaft from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
2. Center the stub shaft by rotating it from the stop 1/2 of the total amount of turns.
3. Place torque wrench in a vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque in this range. This is the Over-Center Rotating Torque.

NOTE: The stub shaft must rotate smoothly without sticking or binding.

4. Rotate the stub shaft between 90° and 180° to the left of center and record the left off-center preload. Repeat this to the right of center and record the right off-center preload. The average of these two recorded readings is the Preload Rotating Torque.
5. The Over-Center Rotating Torque should be 0.45-0.80 N·m (4-7 in. lbs.) higher than the Preload Rotating Torque.
6. If an adjustment to the Over-Center Rotating Torque is necessary, first loosen the adjuster lock nut. Then turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) until fully extended, then turn back in (CLOCKWISE) one full turn.
7. Remeasure Over-Center Rotating Torque. If necessary turn the adjuster screw and repeat measurement until correct Over-Center Rotating Torque is reached.

NOTE: To increase the Over-Center Rotating Torque turn the screw CLOCKWISE.

8. Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 37-52 N·m (27-38 ft. lbs.)."
Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe you could just move the pitman arm around. The above sounds like too much work.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the pitman arm centered with the steering wheel straight?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
Is the pitman arm centered with the steering wheel straight?
X2. Re-index the pitman arm if it isn't straight.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

I believe my pitman arm can not be indexed. It is keyed to only fit one way.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't believe they are keyed
Old 12-28-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Their "keyed" but if I remember correctly its 90* rotational keyed meaning you can only put it in every 90*

Quick Reply: Problems centering steering wheel