Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems after lift and 35s

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after lift and 35s

I recently put a teraflex 2.5 lift, 35 x 11.50 baja ATZ, jks track bar, brake drop brackets and jks discos on my jeep. It runs great currently.

I am wondering how these mods increase wear on other components. For example ball joints, and power steering. Seems like the power steering pump wines more with the 35 and wondering how well the oem pumps are holding up? Also with the wider stance, how well do ball joints and other components last? I love the mods but hesitant to take her on the trail because I'm worried about added strain from the mods.

What problems have u guys had after lift and 35s?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3994169069.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	348678

Name:	image-159858205.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	348679

Name:	image-1218649695.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	348680
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only problem after those mods is 1) now I want 37's, and 2) now I have more "balls" off roading and that gets me into sticky situations.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add a power steering cooler to your JK, $35ish and higher. This can help pull some heat from your power steering. The PSC setup is nice, however with 35's it would be way over kill. Ball joints tend to be something that we all have to deal with at some point in time, wither your stock or lifted. Thanks for choosing TeraFlex!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROC
I recently put a teraflex 2.5 lift, 35 x 11.50 baja ATZ, jks track bar, brake drop brackets and jks discos on my jeep. It runs great currently.

I am wondering how these mods increase wear on other components. For example ball joints, and power steering. Seems like the power steering pump wines more with the 35 and wondering how well the oem pumps are holding up? Also with the wider stance, how well do ball joints and other components last? I love the mods but hesitant to take her on the trail because I'm worried about added strain from the mods.

What problems have u guys had after lift and 35s?

Thanks

Attachment 348678

Attachment 348679

Attachment 348680
A problem i ran into was a worn out tie rod end on right front wheel with my 35 Toyo's.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice and info!!! Kelly; good to hear You have several years on the jk with mods and minimal problems! That what I was hoping to hear. :-)

I know things will eventually wear out. I am looking for the items that tend to fail the soonest.

Thanks again keep it comming!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TROC
Thanks for the advice and info!!! Kelly; good to hear You have several years on the jk with mods and minimal problems! That what I was hoping to hear. :-)

I know things will eventually wear out. I am looking for the items that tend to fail the soonest.

Thanks again keep it comming!
depends on how often and hard you wheel. Brakes definitely go sooner b/c of more rotational mass to stop moving. Ball joints and drag link ends tend to wear out with wide (12.5"+) tires as soon as 60k but some last over 80k.

Modding a Jeep is like having a boat. You end up pouring tons of money into it at some point just to keep it road/sea worthy. I have both which means I have no money in my wallet.

Enjoy it and inspect your rig after a hard day out. It doesn't matter how many times I'm under my JK I always seem to learn something new.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rays0852

depends on how often and hard you wheel. Brakes definitely go sooner b/c of more rotational mass to stop moving. Ball joints and drag link ends tend to wear out with wide (12.5"+) tires as soon as 60k but some last over 80k.

Modding a Jeep is like having a boat. You end up pouring tons of money into it at some point just to keep it road/sea worthy. I have both which means I have no money in my wallet.

Enjoy it and inspect your rig after a hard day out. It doesn't matter how many times I'm under my JK I always seem to learn something new.
Very good thoughts. What will tell me the drag link ends or ball joints are bad?

Quick Reply: Problems after lift and 35s