Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with ABS and Traction Control with Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper

Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with ABS and Traction Control with Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper

I don't know how this bumper could effect the ABS and Traction Control system, But for some reason it is. I originally put the bumper on and on the first drive after the lights came on. I thought that it might be out of alignment or the steering wheel might be off center so I took it in for an alignment and it was a little off. but the lights still didn't go off. So i checked the wheel sensors and nothing was wrong with them. So I just gave up for the time being. A few weeks later I took the rear bumper off and left it off for a few days to get some work done on it. While driving to work the lights went out and stayed off. Over the weekend I put the bumper back on and the lights came back on. Has anyone had any issues like this?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by copperheadjku
I don't know how this bumper could effect the ABS and Traction Control system, But for some reason it is. I originally put the bumper on and on the first drive after the lights came on. I thought that it might be out of alignment or the steering wheel might be off center so I took it in for an alignment and it was a little off. but the lights still didn't go off. So i checked the wheel sensors and nothing was wrong with them. So I just gave up for the time being. A few weeks later I took the rear bumper off and left it off for a few days to get some work done on it. While driving to work the lights went out and stayed off. Over the weekend I put the bumper back on and the lights came back on. Has anyone had any issues like this?
I had this issue after my Atlas was on, I put airbags in my rear coils to acoomodate the extra weight of the heavy Atlas and the problem went away. I have a 3.5 in rough country lift as well. I did a whole right up on the airbag install but I didn't mention the issue about the abs, I only addressed the sag in the rear due to the extra weight.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the abs/traction control system is pretty straight forward. Tone rings at every wheel and a steering wheel position sensor. There's more to it than that, but for driving down the road that's what matters most.

You need to provide some insight on your suspension. Stock, lifted, etc.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Well, the abs/traction control system is pretty straight forward. Tone rings at every wheel and a steering wheel position sensor. There's more to it than that, but for driving down the road that's what matters most.

You need to provide some insight on your suspension. Stock, lifted, etc.
How do you check your tone rings?

Quick Reply: Problems with ABS and Traction Control with Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper