Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with 37x12.5?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran the same 37x12.50 cooper tires on my dodge ram for a year and a half and never had any problems with them, i put maybe 25k miles and they still had about 40% tread left i would say. great tire in my opinion, that why i bought them again. I work at a dealership so i bought them for $285 a piece, i found some site online that was really close to that price too though, just have to search around a lil bit

here's a couple pics of my '04 ram 1500 9" of lift

& a couple on my '07 wrangler 5" of lift

Last edited by DuDz40VT; 01-28-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Toyos are 37x13.50 17
Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DuDz40VT
i ran the same 37x12.50 cooper tires on my dodge ram for a year and a half and never had any problems with them, i put maybe 25k miles and they still had about 40% tread left i would say. great tire in my opinion, that why i bought them again. I work at a dealership so i bought them for $285 a piece, i found some site online that was really close to that price too though, just have to search around a lil bit

here's a couple pics of my '04 ram 1500 9" of lift

& a couple on my '07 wrangler 5" of lift

ah those do look good on your jeep =D They look diff than the ones on your truck for some reason : /

Those are 37x12.5 you said?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

"ah those do look good on your jeep =D They look diff than the ones on your truck for some reason : /"

Same exact tire on my truck and jeep. Only difference is the truck is a lot bigger so they look smaller and the truck had 17x10 wheels where my jeep has 17x8's

"Those are 37x12.5 you said?"

and yes they are 37x12.50's

If your wondering about price check out the numbers I found from onlinetires.com

37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country's
$324 a piece - $1,620 for 5 PLUS shipping costs

37x12.50x17 Cooper Discoverer STT's
$278 a piece - $1,390 for 5 & FREE shipping!

looking at those #'s made it a done deal for me

Last edited by DuDz40VT; 01-28-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

"ah those do look good on your jeep =D They look diff than the ones on your truck for some reason : /"

Same exact tire on my truck and jeep. Only difference is the truck is a lot bigger so they look smaller and the truck had 17x10 wheels where my jeep has 17x8's

"Those are 37x12.5 you said?"

and yes they are 37x12.50's

If your wondering about price check out the numbers I found from onlinetires.com

37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country's
$324 a piece - $1,620 for 5 PLUS shipping costs

37x12.50x17 Cooper Discoverer STT's
$278 a piece - $1,390 for 5 & FREE shipping!

looking at those #'s made it a done deal for me
lol thats awesome! how much lift do you have? Im actually thinking if i can sell my current wheels/tires i wanna get 37' BFGs. They are actually cheaper than those coopers.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P Nasty
lol thats awesome! how much lift do you have? Im actually thinking if i can sell my current wheels/tires i wanna get 37' BFGs. They are actually cheaper than those coopers.
I have the 4" rough country and 1" body lift
Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 PM
JK Super Freak

The coopers have a nearly identical tread to the toyo's, the main difference between the two is the toyo's are 1 inch wider, weight 10 pounds more and cost a LOT more $$$, that made my decision to go with the coopers a whole lot easier

I'm on my fourth set of STT's on my work truck. I go thru a set a year. I've cut two of my sidewalls in situations were it never should have happened. The STT's are quiet on the road, pretty decent in mud, ok in snow and ice. They will wear out in 25k if you don't rotate and last 40k if you rotate every 5-6K.

But, as I am in the west and it is rocky out here, I would nit run them on my Jeep. I never see them on the trails. Where you do find them is on oilfield trucks that are out on muddy roads a lot. I have no confidence at all thay they would hold up in rock. The sidewalls are a weak point on the STT's.

I'm running the 35" KM2's on AEV Pintlers and have been happy with that in the rocks of Moab. After siping them they did great in the snow this winter. The Toyo Open Country MT is probably a tougher tire than the KM2. It is 13.5 to the KM2's 12.5; also a little taller. So which am I going to go with when I upgrade to 37"s? Tough question. I like to be able to run HD mud and snow chains and they fit and clear now - would the 13.5 width prevent me from running chains? I'm concerned about the weight of the Toyo and it's 10 Ply Load Range E rating. The load range D KM2's ride lousy if the air pressure is over 30-32 psi. I'd like to ride in a JK with the Toyo's. And I'm definetly going to sipe my next set of tires. The Toyo's have something they call siping but I'm not digging it. As the KM2 is unsiped I think I can do a great job hand siping them (better than the machine siping on my current KM2's). But then there is the bug to try something new.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
I'm on my fourth set of STT's on my work truck. I go thru a set a year. I've cut two of my sidewalls in situations were it never should have happened. The STT's are quiet on the road, pretty decent in mud, ok in snow and ice. They will wear out in 25k if you don't rotate and last 40k if you rotate every 5-6K.

But, as I am in the west and it is rocky out here, I would nit run them on my Jeep. I never see them on the trails. Where you do find them is on oilfield trucks that are out on muddy roads a lot. I have no confidence at all thay they would hold up in rock. The sidewalls are a weak point on the STT's.

I'm running the 35" KM2's on AEV Pintlers and have been happy with that in the rocks of Moab. After siping them they did great in the snow this winter. The Toyo Open Country MT is probably a tougher tire than the KM2. It is 13.5 to the KM2's 12.5; also a little taller. So which am I going to go with when I upgrade to 37"s? Tough question. I like to be able to run HD mud and snow chains and they fit and clear now - would the 13.5 width prevent me from running chains? I'm concerned about the weight of the Toyo and it's 10 Ply Load Range E rating. The load range D KM2's ride lousy if the air pressure is over 30-32 psi. I'd like to ride in a JK with the Toyo's. And I'm definetly going to sipe my next set of tires. The Toyo's have something they call siping but I'm not digging it. As the KM2 is unsiped I think I can do a great job hand siping them (better than the machine siping on my current KM2's). But then there is the bug to try something new.
well you defenitly cannot go wrong with BFG's They just make one heck of a tire. Of course Toyos are a beast and i love em. Like you said just plain heavy, and theres the cost issue If i were to just pick w/uot looking at prices i would probably pick toyos no doubt. But since i cant im thinking BFG is what ill end up getting. I just hate that i cant get the K/M in a 13.5 Only the km2. I like the original ones better for some reason
Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P Nasty
Do you think 12.5 will look stupid with 6' lift?
I'd love to see a 6' lift!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default don't go cheap

My advice, because it is such a largeinvestment, is to do it right the first time. I went with 18x10 wheels with the 37x12.50R18 classic BFG MT's, and absolutely love them. They are an excellent tire, and love how they wear. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: Problems with 37x12.5?