Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems with 37x12.5?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 37x12.5?

So im about to upgrade to 37 tires now that im gonna have 6' soon hopefully. The thing is, it costs WAY to much to put 37s on my 20' rims. So im thinking to save money ill get tires to fit 17s and put them on my stock rims temporarily until i can buy new rims. Whats the downfall with doing that?Most tires i want i would have to get 12.5 because they dont make 13.5... I have 1.5 spacers. Do you think 12.5 will look stupid with 6' lift?

thanks guys =D

Zack
Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Stock rims are not as wide. So your tire won't run as flat. To help offset that, put a chalk line across your new 37s and adjust your tire pressure until the chalk line wears evenly. I keep my tire pressure around 28psi
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

well i was looking at BFG.

the original Kms ONLY make 12.5 no 13.5
the Km 2 may make it 13.5 but all i can find so far is 12.5

i really wanted a 13.5

if i put a 13.5 on a stock ruby rim other than it just not sitting completely flat is there no other problems with it?

thanks for the replies guys =D
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'm running 37x12.50's cooper discoverer STT's on 17x8" wide rims, that's not much wider than the stock rims, i think they're 7.5 arent' they? I could be wrong. You'll be fine temporarily, I don't know about hardcore rock climbing with that set up but normal driving you should be fine untill you get another rim.

The most common 37x13.50 i know of is the toyo open country m/t if you wanna go that route, weight may be something you're considering though so that might help in your decision process. For example my 12.50 cooper tires are 10 pounds lighter a piece than the 13.50 toyo's soooo that definitely makes a difference there
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

yeah i want 17' aev rims with 37 bfg tires im thinking :P or toyo =D

The grapplers look mean and all. I just a more "trail" oriented tire. have the name "mud grappler" people think im all about mud. And my jeep will not touch mud :P

im getting a 6' kit though. So i need bigger tires and it would cost the same to just upgrade to 37s on my 20' rim or get new 17s and tires.

so im just gonna sell/trade my current get up :P
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 37 X 12.5 on 17'sand I get complements all the time. Only difference is I have a 5.5inch lift.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The coopers have a nearly identical tread to the toyo's, the main difference between the two is the toyo's are 1 inch wider, weight 10 pounds more and cost a LOT more $$$, that made my decision to go with the coopers a whole lot easier

Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by northsidejeepin
I'm running 37 X 12.5 on 17'sand I get complements all the time. Only difference is I have a 5.5inch lift.
got any pics?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DuDz40VT
The coopers have a nearly identical tread to the toyo's, the main difference between the two is the toyo's are 1 inch wider, weight 10 pounds more and cost a LOT more $$$, that made my decision to go with the coopers a whole lot easier

im just not sure i like the side wall. the tread pattern looks great. the side wall just looks better on toyo IMO. Could you link some pics of your jeep with those tires? How cheap are they exactly? :P
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I wish you were right about the Cooper STT's. I have Cooper 35's and always stood up for them and complimented the hell out of them...

Yesturday I fully examined the tire after putting around 10K miles on them.
I used to think they wear great, at 5K miles I didn't see any tread loss. Before my trip from NY to Socal I rotated the tire. After the 3000 mile trip in 3 days and 2k mile driving around here it was time for a rotation. The rear tires seemed to of lost a good amount of tread (around 15-20%). and the fronts about 10% compared to the new spare.... Now I really regret not putting the spare into rotation. Another thing, they are SOFT. I didn't notice this before mostly because I was doing Mud on the east coast most of the time. But they tear easily. They have a LOT of cuts and tears.

After hearing a few things about the Toyo's like they are stronger and won't tear as fast and they wear slower... I'm Definitely going w/ the Toyo's when I up to 37's.
good info to know =D

Quick Reply: Problems with 37x12.5?