Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem with TF rear upper control arm lenght and 2.5" lift kit

Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
MD5
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with TF rear upper control arm lenght and 2.5" lift kit

I need your help, since I'm English language dumb I hope you can understand what I mean.

Time ago I installed the TF 2.5" lift kit with springs and shocks on my 2dr Rubicon
To obtain the best result possible I also installed front and rear JKS adj. Trackbar and TF front LCA.
Rear link was installed on the inside as the instruction suggest.

Everything run fine and the drive feeling is now better than stock in both street and offroad.

Recently, in the attempt to reduce the rear drive shaft wear I ordered a set of TF rear upper control arms to adjust the Pinion angle.

I installed it at shortest length possible, slightly above 1" longer than stock CA.
They appear too long for my 2.5" lift, both links rub the rear side of shock bracket on axle and the spring will not correctly seat on the axle spring mount/retainer.

What do you think about shorten the upper control arms by cutting about 1" of tube ?

Here some pics, thanking in advance for any advice

Rear Links installed on the inside:

Rear Links installed on the inside. The red circle show the rubbing/touching area between the links and rear side of shock bracket:

If I put the links outside there are no rubbing with rear side of shock bracket, also the clearance with the wheel rim look acceptable:

How the drive shaft look with UCA installed
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Default ditto

agree - thier arms are good from 3-6" lift but not for shorter than that.

could always go to their website teraflex.biz and drop them an email. think Doug is one of their tech support - they have great customer service!

Originally Posted by planman
I suggest you remove the TF rear upper arms until you run taller than a 3"-3.5" lift.

They are not needed on a 2.5" lift.

This picture shows that your pinion angle is higher than your driveshaft angle, which is actually worse for the driveshaft than what it was stock:

Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
MD5
JK Newbie

Thanks for the information, I will contact TF for instruction and in case, revert back to stock arms.

Quick Reply: Problem with TF rear upper control arm lenght and 2.5" lift kit