Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

problem with teraflex leveling kit

Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with teraflex leveling kit

'11 2dr rubi 400 miles. installed this kit today at my buddys garage on a lift. install went smooth, however after we brought it back to the ground to tighten everything up we noticed the passenger side coil bowed pretty bad it isnt rubbing the swaybar link but its real close 1/4 or less. my guess is the axle shifted a bit which would be normal the geometry changed with no adj trackbar. what i dont understand is why the passenger side coil is so bowed and the drivers side is straight. if the axle shifted that bad wouldnt both coils have a similiar look? 1st pic is the passenger side 2nd is driver side. thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Delgriffth
'11 2dr rubi 400 miles. installed this kit today at my buddys garage on a lift. install went smooth, however after we brought it back to the ground to tighten everything up we noticed the passenger side coil bowed pretty bad it isnt rubbing the swaybar link but its real close 1/4 or less. my guess is the axle shifted a bit which would be normal the geometry changed with no adj trackbar. what i dont understand is why the passenger side coil is so bowed and the drivers side is straight. if the axle shifted that bad wouldnt both coils have a similiar look? 1st pic is the passenger side 2nd is driver side. thanks
Check to make sure that the coil with the bow is seated correctly on the axle and at the frame mount. There is specific location for the end of the coil. Look a the bottom of the coil in particular. The photo makes it look like it is sitting onthe very end of the coil instead of the first full loop.

You can Private Message the teraflex rep to see if he sees something funny or has seen this before. He is a member of the forum and a lot of help.

Last edited by Notakar; 07-30-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for replying. i cant say much for my wrenching skills, im just an electrician but my buddy who installed it is a 20 year mechanic who has his own shop. that doesnt mean he's infallible of course so just in case i triple checked and both coils are seated properly. same for the spacers and isolators at the top. i know he loosened everything, control arms, sway bar links etc and tightened on the ground. i cant remember if he loosened the track bar however. i know the stock trackbar isnt adjustable but do they have any play in them at all when loosened?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Delgriffth
In the first pic the coil is clearly not seated in the correct position at the axle, the end of the coil is facing forward where the coil in the second pic is seated correctly with the coil end facing the rear.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SureShotXd
In the first pic the coil is clearly not seated in the correct position at the axle, the end of the coil is facing forward where the coil in the second pic is seated correctly with the coil end facing the rear.
Running outside to look at mine.
I retract my first response, looks to be seated correctly. You might want to check the top.

Last edited by SureShotXd; 07-30-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

It realy dosn't look to be bowed to much. Have you driven it yet? Drive it around and flex it a bit, might just need to settle in.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SureShotXd
Running outside to look at mine.
I retract my first response, looks to be seated correctly. You might want to check the top.
thanks..i did the same again a bit earlier passenger seat faces forward drivers seat faces rear. i found another post where folks were having similiar problems.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t-installation
Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

took a few more pics this morning once the sun came up. everything is 100% seated properly. swaybar link is REAL close on the drivers side maybe a 1/4". passenger side is more like 3/4" away. the only thing we didnt loosen during install was the trackbar. im not looking to assign blame i just want it right. any suggestions from experienced guys as to what my next step should be? is this normal and im just being anal? thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the last picture you posted the picture on the left that spring is the factory spring it has the barcode tag with spring number on it need to put the teraflex spring in.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Mine did exactly the same with 1.75'' RC spacers. I did some off-roading and flexing,no problem at all.

Quick Reply: problem with teraflex leveling kit