Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem finding tires.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem finding tires.

So last week i traded in my base model jeep for a 2010 sahara deep water blue. LOVING it. Part of the deal was extended waranties and such so i dont want to void them so ive decided 100% to go with the mopar 2.5" coil lift. Pricey i know but i really eant this warranty to work for me this time. The dealership typically sells a setup including wheels/tires (that i pick out of course) for $5500 give or take. However, i think i can get a better deal in just gettong the lift there and tires/wheels from my friend who can "get them for himself" from his shop at cost.

The wheels im liking are e KMC rockstars( the machined silver w/ black accent), the monsters, and the gauntlet made by ultra. Id pefer the wheels to be 18"s. Problem: I DO NOT want 35" tires, i want 33s.

-is that gonna look too silly like the dealer service manager says?
-im having a really hard time finding tires in that size that arent $500 each
-the wheels im attracted to dont seem to come smaller than 18.
-i think i want all terrain tires cause i dont really do much off roading but would like to havr the option to hit the trails if i get a wild hair. My jeep is a DD and id pefer quieter tires.

What to dooo???? Where to look????

Also random off topic, i saw a pic of a deep water blue that was super fancy! Had what looked like a bar light above the windshield.. Any idea who makes this light?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

its still going to be under warranty with the mopar lift??
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 33" Falken Wild Peak Tires (285/70/17) on Ultra Gauntlet Wheels 17x9, I just put on a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I don't think it looks bad at all. I saw you listed the Ultra Gauntlet wheel and 33" tires so figured I would show you my setup. These tires are great in my opinion. Very quiet on the road, have a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty and from what I have read they are great offroad as well. I have not had a chance to try it yet though offroad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60385331@N04/5644283532/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60385331@N04/5537129516/

Last edited by coachjamie; 04-25-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Stick with the 17s if you are going with that size tire.
Also, the Rock Stars arent my first choice, dont care for the big star in the center. The Gaunlets are unique and pretty cool. Just my two cents.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I gotta say I like the rockstars....and you will regret not getting 35's if you can fit them in now (will save you money down the road)....plus from the sites that I've seen 35's for an 18" rim are cheaper/same price as 33's for an 18" rim....the machined rockstar with 35's would look bad-ass....and if you're saving money by getting your friend to pick up the parts at cost, go ahead and get the stuff you want because you had already budgeted more assuming the dealership was going to charge you an arm and a leg.

Sam
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

I would stick with either a 16" or 17" rim. More sidewall allows for more tire flex when off-road (assuming airing down).
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arasco85
its still going to be under warranty with the mopar lift??
YES:-) !!! I was stoked to find that i could have a lift that wouldnt void the warranty. Its $1510 and if dealership installs its roughly $800
Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
I gotta say I like the rockstars....and you will regret not getting 35's if you can fit them in now (will save you money down the road)....plus from the sites that I've seen 35's for an 18" rim are cheaper/same price as 33's for an 18" rim....the machined rockstar with 35's would look bad-ass....and if you're saving money by getting your friend to pick up the parts at cost, go ahead and get the stuff you want because you had already budgeted more assuming the dealership was going to charge you an arm and a leg.

Sam
The ason i dont want 35s is because of gas milage. When my house gets rebuilt, ill go back to having a 60 mile a day round trip commute. Gas here is already 4.79/gal regular and expected to get worse. How much worse are 33s to stock tires and also 35s to stock?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PocketWatts

YES:-) !!! I was stoked to find that i could have a lift that wouldnt void the warranty. Its $1510 and if dealership installs its roughly $800
Better get that in writing and signed in blood! As stated earlier, read WOLs thread on the matter. Not to mention that that is way overpriced. Just my 2 pennies.

Quick Reply: Problem finding tires.