Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem with Expedition One bumper...

Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter
Yes the races are pressed in, but like I said during the powder-coating process,there is a external heat source that raise the temperature up just enough to expand the housing on the carrier that slides over the spindle,that the race fell out during the handling inside the oven. I still had to tap the race in about 3/16"s of IN.( after I heated up the carrier spindle housing, a big industrial oven can heat a big chunk of steel a whole lot better than my little ole heat gun) to bottom it out. Now the races are pressed in AFTER the parts come back back from the powder-coating facility. Once everything is assembled
right and snug down, it works like it was designed for. Remember the tail-gate
only swings about 95 degrees, its not a like a wheel bearing where it must with stand high RPM"s, even though the bearings are Timken Tapered Roller design, believe me the spindle and bearing/races are stout enough to handle the load. ( Designed for up to a 40 IN. tire and wheel )
I found out I didn't have them and had to get them and new bearings (mine were mangled) from a local auto parts store.

Last edited by RAZORBACK; 01-24-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updated Expedition One Rear STC Install Instructions

Hey Everyone, as promised , I am posting the updated copy of our install instructions with additions and pictures to assist with the install of the bearings.

http://www.exp-one.com/JKRB100andSTCinstall.htm
Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Expedition One
Hey Everyone, as promised , I am posting the updated copy of our install instructions with additions and pictures to assist with the install of the bearings.

http://www.exp-one.com/JKRB100andSTCinstall.htm
I would say that's about idiot proof now. Great job!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my rear bumper/tire carrier yesterday.

I did not read that thread before so I did not know about the "race" problem.
I installed the bearing the proper way but no "race" parts came with the kit.

Are they supposed to be already installed?

My only problem was with the inside bolts (two of them), which are very difficult to install. I talked to James about it.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I don't mind the docs online, but they could have finished them by now (I installed mine a few months ago).

Which way did you install the top bearing assembly? If I installed mine pointing down, there was too much clearance between the bearing assembly and the carrier, so the mount was sloppy. If I installed it pointing up (as pictured bellow), the mount was stable, but the nut & washer would not reach down far enough to tighten against the bearing assembly (shown bellow also).

So, if you installed it like this, you have a problem:

It's little hard to see, but a lot of the grease on the top bearing assembly is dark gray from excessive wear. I'm going to replace the top bearings because I expect they'll fall apart eventually. I had to push the bearings back into their slots.

js.

This image above has to give shivers up one's spine for anyone who has mechanical wit or has ever worked with a tapered bearing before.

This time it IS all about race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Problem with Expedition One bumper...