Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem after axle swap

Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
He also states there are lockers front and rear which tells me they've been changed, which in my thoughts would mean the hearing is changed as well. I can't really think of anyone that's added lockers and kept stock ratio.
agreed. Who knows what I have. The guy wasn't very knowledgeable about what he had. But he showed me receipts for Yukon grizzly in the rear and Eaton up front.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original owner would know if the gears were changed. There would be an extra $600+ for parts and labour. A locker swap is a pretty simple job if not changing gear ratios. Pinion does not have to be removed in most cases.

At any rate, it's Easy enough to check. Get the programmer set it up for 3.73 and your tire size and see what happens. Won't hurt anything to try.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
The original owner would know if the gears were changed. There would be an extra $600+ for parts and labour. A locker swap is a pretty simple job if not changing gear ratios. Pinion does not have to be removed in most cases. At any rate, it's Easy enough to check. Get the programmer set it up for 3.73 and your tire size and see what happens. Won't hurt anything to try.
and I hope my alignment takes care of my death wobble. Getting these two things worked out and il be happy with the swap. 3.5 in aev lift. Jks discos. Borla exhaust. Fenders. Rear bumper. I bought every aftermarket part he had. He had a trail dash but sold it before I found the add on Craigslist.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Check your track bar mounts and make sure the bolts are torqued. Make sure your tire pressure is down to 28 or less with 35s. Did the previous owner of that front diff have Death Wobble too?
Old 09-11-2016, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Check your track bar mounts and make sure the bolts are torqued. Make sure your tire pressure is down to 28 or less with 35s. Did the previous owner of that front diff have Death Wobble too?
no. But his lift came with a longer steering arm. So I have half his steering and half mine. I can see my front right is toe out. All my bushings and ball joints look good. Probably would help to put the stabilizer on it. I almost had a heat stroke doing the swap so I'll put the stabilizer on and get it aligned. I'm familiar with death wobble. I'm a previous 20 year owner of Cherokees haha.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaminLee
no. But his lift came with a longer steering arm. So I have half his steering and half mine.
You might explain that. Which non-stock parts are actually on your jeep? Sounds like he had a drop pitman (which is paired with a trackbar relo bracket), and maybe you have the bracket installed but not the drop pitman?

And are you getting full on deathwobble, or just some shimmy, or bumpsteer, or a pull to one side, or ... ? If you haven't looked through it yet, Planman wrote up a good deathwobble/shimmy diagnosis, it is stuck to the top of the Write-ups area.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VitaminLee
no. But his lift came with a longer steering arm. So I have half his steering and half mine. I can see my front right is toe out. All my bushings and ball joints look good. Probably would help to put the stabilizer on it. I almost had a heat stroke doing the swap so I'll put the stabilizer on and get it aligned. I'm familiar with death wobble. I'm a previous 20 year owner of Cherokees haha.
Ok that narrows things down some. so maybe what he is experiencing could be bumpsteer rather then death wobble. If he has a drop pitman arm and hasn't raised the axle side trackbar mount to match angles, he will def have issues.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

He had the aev 3.5 and I got every part off his and put it on mine. So I have all the after market parts. It's deff death wobble. My driver tire is strait and my passenger is toe out bad. So they're fighting each other which turns to full on dw. I'm taking it to the alignment shop in the morning. I'm more worried about it shifting very strange. I'm ordering a programmer tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is all what it came with. I got it all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3976140629.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	656555  
Old 09-11-2016, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok looks like there is a draglink flip involved here as well.

Let us know how it is after the alignment is done.

Quick Reply: Problem after axle swap