Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem after axle swap

Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after axle swap

Swapped out a 08 Sahara axles and lift into my 14. Now the traction control light and abs light is on. Sometimes it doesent shift right. The guy told me the gears were stock. Sometimes it drives fine. Some times it stays in first and won't shift. Help!!
Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gears may be stock but Sahara stock in 08 would be 3.73 were as your stock gears were 3.21. Your computer needs to be programmed for the change. Did you change both front and rear diffs?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
The gears may be stock but Sahara stock in 08 would be 3.73 were as your stock gears were 3.21. Your computer needs to be programmed for the change. Did you change both front and rear diffs?
yes. I changed front and rear. Has lockers front and back.

Last edited by VitaminLee; 09-13-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep,,, you'll need a programmer... you can determine the gear ratio like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0jrucjlxg
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

You bet. Or you may be able to have your Jeep dealer reprogram for you. 2011 and up have the new computer systems that will put you in limp mode if you do not reprogram for gear change.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Yep,,, you'll need a programmer... you can determine the gear ratio like this: YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0jrucjlxg
it's factory gearing. He did tel me that. Any recommendations on programmers?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VitaminLee
yes. I changed front and rear. Has lockers front and back. He was losing his jeep to the bank so I bought his axles and gave him my factory ones. So I have different size gears. Do I need a programmer?
Yes, you'll need a programmer/tuner to adjust the gear ratio and tire size if you changed them.
I would recommend a tuner as it's not a significant difference in price and I've actually found it to make a good bit of difference in terms of responsiveness and low end (nothing huge, but enough that I can definitely tell a difference running 93 octane on the 93 tune).
Also, since you have an automatic (I have a manual) I think the tuner will benefit you even more because it will change your shift points which in turn makes for a much more pleasurable driving experience.
I would also recommend you remove the differential covers and count the teeth on the ring gear to make sure exactly what ratio gears are in your axles, better safe - than sorry. There are many write ups online that explain exactly how to figure out your gear ratio.
Good luck, and I hope everything works out well for you pimp.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Yes, you'll need a programmer/tuner to adjust the gear ratio and tire size if you changed them.
thanks. My tires were over sized when I bought my wrangler. But now after the axle change its all screwed up. I'll see which gear ration I have for sure. Any names off the top of your head that are good for a good price? Thanks for the help. This is my first jk. I'm used to zj/Xj/tj where I didn't have to deal with this. Haha.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Superchips Flashpaq or Superchips Traildash. We personally have Flaspaqs for our Jeeps.

You gear ratio for the 08 axles will be 3.73. There was no option to change on the 08 Sahara.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Superchips Flashpaq or Superchips Traildash. We personally have Flaspaqs for our Jeeps. You gear ratio for the 08 axles will be 3.73. There was no option to change on the 08 Sahara.
He also states there are lockers front and rear which tells me they've been changed, which in my thoughts would mean the hearing is changed as well. I can't really think of anyone that's added lockers and kept stock ratio.

Quick Reply: Problem after axle swap