Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro install or noob install?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not hard at all, I've done a 2.5in lift in 4-5 hours by myself. Get a few buddies and you can be done in 3hrs if your just doing springs and TB.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_jku
exactly why i want to do it my self, and to save the money
Outside of regearing, you should be able to tackle just about anything on that jeep on your own......if you're willing to.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did exactly what you are asking last year in a (long) day. By myself. I had access to a lift + air tools, which helped a lot. Just follow the instructions, watch the YOUTUBE videos, drink the beer...too easy.

Originally Posted by dark_jku
WHATS UP PEEPS!
i have a 2011 jeep jku Rubicon.

i have a question for your suggestions!

i want to install a
-2.5" teraflex SPRING LIFT KIT
-RC FRONT ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR
-RANCHO CORRECTION BRACKETS

now, shop's around me are charging 600-700 for installation ONLY,
is it hard to **** up a lift kit install?
if i do it my self what can go wrong & are the correction brackets hard to install properly?

after i install everything what should i do next? get it aligned & tire roation (running nitto grappler 35's)

might save 600-700$ but will it be worth it? is it better to have a shop do it? :dontk now:
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For the alignment, go to the Writeups area. Stuck to the top is an Index thread. In there, look in either the Steering or Troubleshooting areas, and you will find links to a DIY Alignment writeup (it'll take you to another website).

The steering wheel is super easy to center, loosen two bolts and twist, 5 minutes tops. The ca brackets take care of the caster, and you'll know how to swap holes if your ride height increases. You'll install the new trackbar, so you'll already know how to go about centering the axle, just take a few measurements and re-adjust. Camber is not adjustable unless you add parts. And there you have it.

But just for peace of mind, you could find a shop that does 'free' checks and have them print out the specs. Then decide if you want to pay them for a full alignment, make any minor tweaks yourself, or even just post the specs and ask for opinions.

As far as the lift install goes, read a few write-ups and watch a few youtube videos, and you're good to go. The hardest part for me was going into it without all the right tools and figuring out how to make several trips to the store with my only vehicle torn apart...
Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

For what its worth i put the TF 2.5 spring lift, rancho brackets, TF trackbar on and wasted 45$ on alignment check just to be told its perfect. Caster at 4. Toe at 1/8th. Did it all with a tape measure as per the write up.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

First time lift installation took all of two days for my dad and I to finish. We changed out springs, shocks, front lower control arms and bolted on various brackets on the 9 yr old JKU. It's pretty straight forward but was frustrating at times due to rusted bolts. Overall, it's very rewarding knowing you saved money that would otherwise go to a shop, not to mention that you did it yourself.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Make sure you put the rear upper control arms on with the right orientation haha. Don't over torque your wheels. Expect it to take longer than what you think. Oh and get some PB blaster! Some of my mistakes
I second the PB Blaster recommendation! Not sure about where you live, but if you deal with winter weather and salt, you're bound to have some rusty bolts. A torch to heat up those rusty nuts and bolts might be a good idea to have on hand if you are comfortable with that. The PB Blaster might not be enough...
Old 11-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I installed my lift by myself in my driveway with a Jack and 2 Jack stands and basic tools, PB Blaster, and the help of an electric impact wrench. I never installed a lift before and I'm more of an electrical person than a wrench head. Aside from saving $, I gained a ton of knowledge, and piece of mind in knowing that no one will take the time and care to ensure things are done right. I'll be honest. It took me 4 full days to complete, but I took my time, took many water breaks, because it was done in 95 degree summer temps. I also cleaned and re-painted parts while I had things apart. I also loosened all control arm bolts and track bar bolts, then re-torqued all those bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension which isn't necessary but is a best practice when installing a lift. I doubt any shop or any friends would bother to go through all that extra effort. It's my baby and I know that no one will take care of it better than me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-17-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say install yourself as well.

As rednroll stated above, and I'll agree wholeheartedly, a cordless impact will get to just about anything you'll need to accomplish. For the cost of paid install you can buy all the tools to service your rig, forever.

And wobbler sockets.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it's not to be rude, or to say most shops are a bit ridiculous, but some.

Truthfully, a lot of the guys working in these shops are average joes, not rocket scientists. Having access to the tools, the shop, and the books is their singular advantage. The only things the shop really has over you buying some good tools up front for a few hundred, is a good torch and a welder.

But give yourself some credit OP, when I first bought the jeep way back when now I asked the same questions. Mostly for "warranty" concerns. And really if you plan on modifying it can be a concern depending on your dealer.

I say mod away, post pics, and work on it yourself.

Quick Reply: Pro install or noob install?